Had my first chemo on 4th...chronic heartburn yesterday and today

• 7 replies
  • 254 subscribers

Not sure if this is linked or just coincidence. I had my first round of EC chemo on Thursday 4th and had horrible nausea for the first day and half. The nausea seems to be easing a little and I've managed to eat a few small things but I have had chronic heartburn yesterday and today. Is this a known side effect? I have no idea if I can take anything for it. I tried my go to none medicine remedy of drinking some milk last night but it just set off my nausea again. 

Another random one, again not sure if it's related at all but I also woke up feeling like my left ear popped yesterday and is still the same today. Its making me feel really weird lol. 

Anyone else experienced similar?

• Hi Sam2312

Heartburn can happen with chemo.  Try using Gaviscon and see if that helps with the heartburn.  If that doesn’t work ring the your chemo unit to ask them to prescribe something for it. 

I can’t help with the feeling of your ear popped as I didn’t experience it during my treatment. Hopefully someone will be along with the ear popping experience soon.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• I agree that you should ring your chemo team.  I also had the most horrible heartburn and indigestion to the point that i had to ask for something to help.  Gaviscon just wasn't helping at all and the chemo nurse managed to get me a prescription (sorry I can't remember the name).  It really helped and I was able to begin to eat normally.  Try Gavisco first and see how it goes.  It will improve.  I am now finished with chemo and am back to normal with eating.  The indigestion has gone completely.  

Best 

Jane 

• Hi, I didn’t have indigestion or gastro issues whilst on chemo, but did develop tinnitus - which can be a side effect of chemo. It wasn’t too bad - I only noticed it when sitting up in bed in the evening, and when it was quiet. Hearing problems can be a side effect, so I would mention the ear popping, just incase. It might just be some catarrh movement or something - they will know I’m sure x

• Hi 

I had 2-3 days sickness and nausea after my first EC.  I told my team and they prescribed stronger anti-sickness meds (Aprepitant) for my subsequent EC rounds which worked really well (no more vomiting and only occasional mild nausea).  

I also suffered from heartburn/indigestion which I tried to manage for a few weeks with indigestion tablets and Gaviscon from the supermarket, but they had little effect.  When I eventually told my team they prescribed Omeprazole which cured my heartburn within hours, and made me feel stupid for not having mentioned it earlier!

So I would definitely advise letting your medical team know about your symptoms in case they can resolve them easily.  Best of luck x

• Spoke to the on call team and they said to get gaviscon today but to speak to my nursing team tomorrow to get a prescription for something stronger for the heartburn. Will ask them about the ear too if it's still weird. Thanks for the replies x

• Hi 

glad you’re going to speak to your team , really unpleasant side effects aren’t they ? I had/ have both indigestion and my hearing was super dulled and I have tinnitus ! 
    Omeprazole literally was a game changer for me , it made such a difference ! My ears are still wonky tho Face palm tone1‍♀️, fizzy drinks make it worse although I’m probably just weird Joy 

L xx

• Hi I also had EC and never suffered with heartburn until chemo , but I was given omeprozole with my anti sickness drugs to take home and found these very good , so ask your oncologist to prescribe you some ....Good luck with everything take care xx