Delay between lumpectomy and radiotherapy

• 14 replies
  • 254 subscribers

I had lumpectomy 13 weeks ago and still have no date for radiotherapy. I am getting very worried as read several articles that say risk of recurrence increases with delay . I have grade 2. Invasive ductal carcinoma,3 lymph nodes positive. Prosigna test showed chemo not required . Hormone receptor positive. Can anyone advise? 

• I also had a lumpectomy 6 weeks ago just found out today no need for chemo but same I need radiotherapy I have grade 2 with invasive duct Al carcinoma 2 lymph nodes positive , so I would be very interested to know how long the wait should be , as I presumed it would be straight away thank you , :)

• Lorraine 
  • Have they said why you are waiting so long. Xx 

• I think the delays were right from the start- I had to wait 4 weeks for the follow - up appointment with surgeon , two more weeks for oncologist appointment, almost 3 week to get Prosigna test done and results! Couldn’t get that on nhs, so now in the private system and telling me no appointment at moment for radiotherapy planning meeting! All a worry we could do without! 

• That’s so true the waiting is the worst :( 

• Lorraine 
  • I had my second operation 6 weeks ago today and I am waiting for my course of radiotherapy. The reason for the delay is because we moved house to a different hospital area. My consultant said 6 to 12 weeks to start it. 

Have you spoken to your GP? I registered with a new practice last week and I asked for an appointment with one of the doctors on Monday.  She phoned me 20 minutes later and when I explained she told me she would ask one of the administrative staff to chase it up. On Tuesday she told me everything was ready at the previous hospital to be sent to the new one. If I don't hear from the hospital before the 16th I can ring the practice for them to chase it up. 

• Hi Atacama

The wait is normally five to six week after operation to start radiotherapy as they like to give you time to recover after chemo and surgery. Continue chasing it up until you get a date for the radiotherapy planning or get your GP to chase it up for you.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Please contact your breast care nurse or oncologist to chase this up. 
    Unfortunately waiting times have been extended due to covid and vary across the country but it is definitely worth a phone call to make sure you haven’t slipped through the net.

Hope you hear something soon x

1. I was the same but keep ringing radio therapy department, breast cancer nurse told me it should be done from 12 weeks post surgery. I got started once I rang myself, don't leave it waiting on them 
  • Hello I am in the same boat too. Had lumpectomy 11 weeks ago and still awaiting radiotherapy. Most of the literature points to earlier radiotherapy is best prognosis but the radiotherapy department keep telling me they are getting me fitted in as soon as the scan but may be 4 weeks. Highly anxiety provoking.

• I completed radiotherapy last September, and remember being stressed about the wait. Mine started 9 weeks after surgery. I raised the wait because like everyone I had read things. This was made worse by the fact that at that time, the NHS website that radiotherapy should start 4 weeks after. My oncology radiotherapy consultant contacted me ( very kindly) and said that this website had come up before in conversations, and it was not right. She said that the very earliest they could start was six weeks, so that the wound had time to heal (I had a mastectomy and axillary clearance) and I believe that, especially as I developed a large seroma, which had to drained three times. It settled two weeks before I started radiotherapy, which as I say was 9 weeks post surgery, and this was due to Covid backlogs at that time. But she also told me that they have to start treatment by 12 weeks (remember that I had a mastectomy though) , but maybe newer treatments or having a lumpectomy means that they can wait a bit longer nowadays. I admit that I would be ringing up and checking though.