Delay between lumpectomy and radiotherapy

• 14 replies
  • 251 subscribers

I had lumpectomy 13 weeks ago and still have no date for radiotherapy. I am getting very worried as read several articles that say risk of recurrence increases with delay . I have grade 2. Invasive ductal carcinoma,3 lymph nodes positive. Prosigna test showed chemo not required . Hormone receptor positive. Can anyone advise? 

• Ps. I did take some control in another way though. I knew I was going on Anastrazole, and was told by BCN and oncologist that I would start this after radiotherapy. I asked if I could take it straightaway, and they said that the reason why they wait is because of the side effects of both therapies - it could be too much for me, especially as after major surgery and 5 months chemo too. I understood, but said that I want to start hormone therapy whist waiting for radio therapy. They did let me, and so I started that 2 weeks after surgery. 

• I find that everyone has been given different explanations. I started my letrozole straight after chemo, same day I finished and had surgery 7 weeks later. I then had radiotherapy 7 weeks after surgery. I really hope you get started soon as you must be so anxious x

• That’s interesting. You are right. I had surgery one week after chemo, so perhaps that’s why I started Anastrazole after. As you say, lots of different explanations. 

• I had my lumpectomy 11th May. RT didn't start until 25th of July. Yes, the waiting is stressful, but there are so many things that have to be considered before a plan is put in place. As frustrated as I felt at the time, there are two things I have learned through this whole journey: 1. Have patience, you can't rush the system and 2. Put your trust in the professionals...not easy, but at the end of the day their goal is to give you the right treatment that is suitable for you.

Good luck, and hang on in there!

X