Fenbendazole - alternative treatments

• 14 replies
  • 253 subscribers

Hi folks, I will soon be starting Chemo for Breast Cancer but have a friend who has been insisting I try the drug Fenbendazole, which has not been tested in humans. I have said that that whilst tried and tested options are available, I would not consider this. I just wondered what other peoples thoughts are on this and other drugs that claim they can cure cancer? Is it the case that we all might get to the point that we will try anything to survive?

Julzee

• Hi Julzee

I have not heard of the drug Fenbendazole. However, based on your statement that it has not been tested on humans, I would not touch it with a barge-pole and I don't think that you should be considering it either, not for one moment.

Your Cancer care team are going to recommend to you the chemo regimen which is the best evidence-based option for the exact type of BC that you have. The chemo etc regimens that the NHS use have been the subjects of large clinical trials with BC sufferers in many countries and will be the best yet option for whatever type of BC you have.

Your MDT will do a risk-benefit analysis of what will work best for you. By all means ask your oncologist what the rationale is for the exact treatment regimen suggested for you. It is good to understand the evidence of effectiveness for the treatment advised for you.

I would not listen to anything less, as there will be no scientific basis for it. I remember Donald Trump recommending injections of bleach to combat Covid.....your friend's recommendation might or might not have an any more credible basis than this dangerous suggestion.

Wishing you all the best for your treatment.

Walydug

• Just googled it: Fenbendazole seems to be a dog de-wormer Upside down Thinking

• Thanks WallyDug and I agree, I had no intention of taking this drug, which is, as you suggest used as Dog Wormer, I was just interested in peoples reactions. I suppose, for some people who may have less options, they will try anything! I would feel too worried that there is no way to check for adverse interactions.

• I think anyone who took that stuff would be barking, excuse the pun.

The oncs and MDT monitor you. If the first line chemo treatment is not doing what they expect as quickly as they expect, they have multiple other options and will change the chemo drugs or use targeted radiotherapy to zap lesions etc. No one needs to resort to dog wormer............

• Julzee

There is some interesting info out there on anti parasitic drugs like fenbendazole and mebendazole. Joe Tibbins speaks on a podcast of his experience and has a Facebook page with lots of people taking it and their experiences.

My mum has stage 4 ovarian and is on her third chemo. I came across this study on mebendazole, the human version of fenben. My mums halfway scan was not good, so we started her on both of these drugs. We are at the point in which there is nothing to loose. She was unable to have chemo for 3 weeks due to being so sick, in that time she started taking the drugs. When she felt well enough to have chemo her blood tests showed the first significant reduction in CA125, the blood marker for ovarian cancer. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34232919/

Im not saying this is the miracle cure or it’s even safe to take the way we are doing so. But there is interesting studies and personal experiences out there on the internet that are worth looking into. 

• Hi Julzee

There is interesting info out there on anti parasitic drugs. Fenbendazole the dog version seems to be used in the US because they can’t get hold of mebendazole which is the human version available over the counter here.

• They are currently doing various trials on the repositioning of these drugs.They block various cancer pathways.There are also increasing personal testaments out there.

• Thanks Rich and I hope your mum will get a positive response. Whilst controversial treatments are 'controversial', I think it's good to talk about them. 

I guess it's about where we are in our Cancer journey and supporting a decision to use untested methods, is something we should all respect.

The Chemo drugs I am taking at the moment are just shredding me from inside out.. looking forward to end of treatment in Jan.

All the best

Julzee

• There has been proper genuine research on this drug going back as far as 2013, no evidence to suggest it works. One man who claimed it had cured his LUNG cancer was also taking other genuine trial drugs so nobody knows which was responsible, it’s unlikely it was the dog wormer! People have sustained liver damage trying this based on unsubstantiated reports floating about social media, all of which are anecdotal. As I say, there are genuine studies into it you can read. Reminds me of a man who thought injecting bleach was a good idea, or strong light……