Hello I’m a nervous newbie just saying hi!

• 6 replies
  • 494 subscribers

Hi all, just joined this after hearing about it from my BC nurse.

found a lump 25 August and have had very quick referrals but just feel endless waiting for that news… got it on the 2nd October. Had 3 lumps on right side Her2 positive grade 3 and it’s in 2 of my nodes.  Had ct scan and was so nervous, initially oncologist said some enlarged lymph on left side but they were not worried about it so was relieved.  Went to my pre chemo clinic on Friday and now they are concerned so more biopsy in my left lymph and neck which I found out yesterday was also inflamed.  Finding it hard to think of questions when at my dr’s as seem to be a bit ‘rabbit in headlights’ and just dealing with each bit on new info as and when it comes up.   Anyway first chemo today went well. I had carboplantin and ducetaxel as 2 separate infusions and an injection in my leg for the phesgo. The steroid tablets and anti sickness tablets seem to be working well! Crossing my fingers I’ll continue this way but know it’s going to get harder.  I’m 41 and still working at the moment and would like to for as long as I’m able as it’s a great distraction.  Once chemo finishes in feb I’ll have masectomy, and really hope, hope hoping these biopsies come back clear in the next 2 weeks.  Finding it hard to stay positive and keep going down the rabbit hole at the moment but trying to hide the worry from my family and put on a brave face.  Anyway rabbits are featured a lot in this post! Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi! guess this is a new normal for now.  By the way since my diagnosis I have met many wonderful caring people both clinicians and patients and it’s heartening to know that there is lots of kindness in the world Heart️ 

• Hi LouiseG,

Welcome to the forum. 

I also have BC, mine was grade 3 also I have completed my chemo, had op and completed my radiotherapy this week. Now on Letrozole and awaiting bone infusions.

The waits are the worst between appointments and after testing we always think worst case scenarios.

However I am now coming through the other side. Light at end of tunnel and all that.

Be kind to yourself, if able to work do so. Personally I'm off at the minute as the fatigue is bad. I was advised as my job is a nurse not to do front facing work during treatments.

I wish you well in your recovery, use this forum to keep us updated and seek support. Also use the macmillan nurses and cancer care service. They are a great support xxx

• Hi Louise, I am Jacqueline.

I was diagnosed this year with stage 2 ductal cancer . I had a mastectomy back in July & im now waiting for chemo etc to start in next couple weeks. I’m 44 so similar to you. I feel too young to be going through this. I’ve also been shocked at how many young women are affected by this horrible disease. 
    I’m glad to hear your first round of chemo went well. That gives me hope for me when I start Fingers crossed tone2 

Sending you lots of strength & love. Feel free to message anytime. I’ve found this all so hard not knowing who to talk to that will understand so finding this forum a comfort xx

• Hi Louise

Keep head up lass and I'm so sorry you are going through this. Despite different diagnosis and experiences we are all going through this together. I have found that going to coffee mornings at Macmillan centres helped tremendously. I can't handle crowds and a bit of a wallflower but just seeing friendly faces and talking to staff and other patients with Thier families is so warm,caring and friendly.

I wish you all the best x

• Hi missmollly thank you for your kind words and it’s so good to hear that you are coming out the other side now xx

oh yes definitely won’t be hesitating to stop work if I’m too tired, and defo can’t imagine doing this treatment as a nurse would be impossible, I just work at home reading/ writing reports so not super taxing but still imagine that there will be periods when that is also too much.

im just v grateful for your supportive words I will defo check out the macmillan nurses x

• Hi Jacqueline 

thank you for sending love! Sending you  lots of virtual cwtches right back!! The nurses doing the chemo are really excellent and I had anti sickness tablets which were fab, other than feeling a bit achey like I’ve been to an aerobics class I feel fine.  I think that’s what feels so weird that I feel physically well: no symptoms just found a lump while showering and find it hard to correlate that with having cancer, 44 is so young.  While at clinic on Friday another young woman approached me as she said she had been having treatment for 2 years and also was only in her early 40’s and she was so kind sharing her experience . I think it is quite hard & isolating as she said you dont see many our age but that certainly seems to be increasing and I was so glad she approached me when she saw I was upset.

thank you for your kindness and hoping you get a good experience at your chemo xx

• Hi EmLee

thank you ever so much for making me feel normal,  also not good in crowds and not sure what to say in groups but everyone seems so kind I will defo give it a whirl.  All the best to you too x