Surgery and gardening

• 3 replies
  • 491 subscribers

Hello everyone, this is my first post in a group forum. Diagnosis was one week ago today, breast cancer with surgery at the end of this month already scheduled. I'm grateful. 

Consultants advised two weeks off work and no driving for that fortnight either. OK. Understood. I've read on here that even vacuuming the house could be too much even months after surgery.

I am a gardener of large grounds for my job. I thought I could take it easy at work after the initial two weeks - but should I even be considering doing any of the following whatsoever? : digging, planting, raking, composting, bagging up leaves and lifting them onto compost piles, pruning up high holding long shears  etc... ? Normally I'd do all of this for a few hours per day. Should I not do it / what kind of pain or discomfort do people feel and for how long after surgery? I'm not sure what to expect. I'm having quite a lot of my left breast removed......  Radiotherapy afterwards.

• Hi luloo2024,

I had my lumpectomy and sentinels removed in June. Whilst I didn't have much pain mostly discomfort I felt fir enough to resume normal household chores and driving after a few weeks as advised. However you sound as if you do a lot of heavy manual work. I think you need to listen to your body and your mind.

The anxiety and fear were as bad as the physical side for me. Everyone is different some people want to work throughout their treatment and are fit enough to do so whilst others aren't.

I wish you well in your recovery. Listen to your body and be kind to yourself xx

• Hi LuLoo2024 welcome to the  forum. No you will not be able to do all that manual work until about 4 or 6 weeks after surgery. You MUST at all times after surgery wear gloves when gardening and try not to get any cuts or scratches as this  can set up Lymphoedema after the Lymph nodes have been removed. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Luloo2024

I’m not a gardener but love the gym which involves lifting  and strenuous activity like you do in your job. I was a little anxious when I went back after a few weeks but read it was okay so long as starting light and building back up gradually (I also checked with my breast care team it was okay). After a couple of months of no problems the worry subsided and I now lift weights regularly. If anything, the whole cancer experience has made me more determined to build my strength and fitness to better than it was before. Take it steady, try not to do too much too soon, listen to your body and your doctors, but I genuinely believe getting back to normal life and physical activity if possible is key to moving forward.

Best of luck with everything. x