Post surgery -waiting results

• 22 replies
  • 485 subscribers

I had a lumpectomy and SNB on Monday, recovering well! just very anxious about the results and what comes next. I’ve been off work 4 weeks now, signed for 6 weeks off by consultant, and although physically probably could work mentally I feel too overwhelmed by the whole situation.only had a mammogram on 18th July, it’s been a whirlwind. Was wondering if anyone else felt work was too much for them whilst waiting for results or further treatment?

• Hi Staffie

The waiting for results is one of the worst things during this rollercoaster ride we are all on, mentally it drains you and as you say although physically you think you are ready to go back to work don't beat yourself up about not being ready mentally and emotionally.

I'm now 6 weeks post surgery and have just received my results and now have another 3 weeks to wait until my oncology appointment, I have to admit I still don't feel physically ready to work (as my job is in a very busy bakery, on my feet all day and lots of lifting and carrying) plus I have my good days and bad days emotionally (and no customer needs to see my crying!) luckily I have an amazing boss and we've chatted and she agrees it's not in my best interest (or hers) for me to return to work yet.

Be kind to yourself and take the time you need to recover and prepare yourself mentally for whatever is next, hoping your results are positive, please let me know how you go xx

• I've been off since my first surgery on 20 June. I've just started chemo treatment and I'll be off until radiotherapy finishes I should think, possibly February time. My job needs me to be 100% on the ball mentally and I just know there's no way I'd be able to keep up with things, I'm easily distracted, restless, forgetful and too quick to irritation. I miss work to be honest, but I know I wouldn't be able to do it to the best of my ability at the moment and that would just cause me more upset. 

There is no right or wrong with regards to going back to work, some people work right through their treatments and others take the whole time off. The mental impact of diagnosis and treatment can be colossal too - if you feel you need more time to process what you are going through then be kind to yourself and take the time :) 

• Hi Staffie,

I was diagnosed May this year. Work advised I remain off to process and concentrate on my treatments and recovery.

The very diagnosis of cancer sends you into a mental spin. The anxiety is crippling at times.

I have had my op and my last cycle of chemo yesterday. I move onto radiotherapy in October and won't return to work till I feel both physically and mentally fit. Probably sometime in the new year.

Put yourself first. Work will be here when we're not. Be kind to yourself. I wish you well in your recovery xx

• Thank you for your kind words. It’s been so fast since diagnosis my feet haven’t touched the ground.  Not complaining obviously but I don’t think it’s real some days!

• Hi Staffie, 

It is a lot to take in. It's a whirlwind of feelings from fear to disbelief.

The good thing is from diagnosis to treatment everything goes quickly which is really good. I had op early June. Started chemo early July last dose yesterday then on to radiotherapy early October. Thankfully no breaks in treatment. I just wanted it cut out then the other treatments quickly to hopefully eradicate any sleeping cells.

I feel quite fortunate in the treatment, care and support I have received. Here in the UK we are really fortunate to have so many treatments available to us.

Be kind to yourself. Sign up for the looking good feel good sessions. I did the make up one it was lovely meeting up with ladies of all different recovery stages to chat too.you get lots of make up tips and a bag of free makeup goodies and perfume. The week I was there a jewellery store had also donated necklaces for everyone. It's one of the normal things I've done since diagnosis.

I also self referred to cancer care had some counselling and still receiving rekki which is lovely.

Wishing you well in your recovery Heart️ xx

• Thank you for your kind words and good advice! I will be more reassured when my path results are in on 20th. Then I’ll know exactly what comes next. Still recovering from surgery so got a way to go yet?

• Hi Staffie,

Be kind to yourself, listen to your body.

We can smash this. One step at a time.

Keep us updated on your recovery.

Heart️xxx

• Hi Staffie,

please take as long as you feel you need off of work . The whole process is overwhelming and personally l think 6 weeks really isn’t long enough . You need to recuperate both physically and mentally from what is an ordeal for us all . Take care of yourself , heal , work will still be there when you feel you are ready to return 

• Hello I had a mastectomy last Wednesday so we are at the same stage . I am recovering well but like you it’s been a whirlwind of emotions . Diagnosed August 19 th . My results are on Wednesday hopefully and like you quite anxious . Everyone keeps telling me the worst is over and stay positive but it’s quite hard . I will follow your journey and am wishing you a speedy recovery. Always here for a chat . 
    love Rosie

• Hi Rosie 

Good luck with your recovery also wishing you well.

• Take it easy and listen to your body xx