New here, need to make a decision

• 23 replies
  • 487 subscribers

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with HER2 breast cancer. It's a 28mm tumour in a small breast so a lumpectomy will result in quite a noticeable difference in size. The other option is a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I'm terrified of waking up looking horrific, the thought of a mastectomy terrifies me as it feels so final. Im hoping to make a decision by the end of the week but I'm struggling. I don't have a partner and a recent break up left me with no confidence, but I know the main thing is to get the cancer out of me Confused

• Wow, that's encouraging, I'm so glad you're feeling well after it, you must be very strong lol. Didn't you have reconstruction? x 

• I had a lumpectomy and mammoplasty for a 32mm lump, but I have quite large boobs (my surgeon commented that I had a lot to spare Rofl). I am definitely lopsided now with wonky nipples which doesn't bother me too much at the moment because I'm focusing on chemo, but I suspect I may want something done about them in the future (not that I've been told that this is even an option). There is a dent too, but this is more to do with having to have a second op to clear the margins - there wasn't a dent after the first surgery.

I was in hospital with a lady who had mastectomy and immediate reconstruction and she is so happy with it! She is literally astounded at how lovely her new boob is, she said the surgeon has worked wonders. She has just had her nipple tattoo done and is amazed at how good it looks.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one for you. Best of luck xx

• That sounds reassuring, thank you. It just shows everyone is different but it sounds like you're doing well x