Hello and recovery question

• 26 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Hi everyone. I hope you’re all doing well- so breast cancer is a bit of a challenge isn’t it? Scream  I had surgery 9 days ago (lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy) and don’t have the follow up for another 3 weeks. It’s a long time to wait. I’m healing ok, I still feel really tired and my scars are tight and itchy and sore, but ok. I am interested to know what other people have done about work. I’m a teacher. The surgeon signed me off for 2 weeks and said to get further sick notes from the GP. The thought of going back to work next week makes me feel dread, I’m not feeling strong enough. I have no idea what the expectations are around time off, and feel stressed about it. I don’t know whether others bounced back to work quickly or, like me, feel they need more time? As much as the physical recovery, I’m finding it hard emotionally too. It’s life changing stuff. 
I would love to hear from others about their experiences. Take care everyone, S

• Yes! I think the well-meaning questions are so hard to answer. Yes, my scars are healing. Hopefully the cancer is gone. But I’m scared, I feel really emotional and I don’t know what else my treatment is. 
    my family are the best, especially my husband. Thank God for him! 

1. Hi, I'm waiting for my chemo treatment to start in the next 2 weeks followed by a lumpectomy.   My employers have referred me to occupational health who will manage my time off.  As it's not clear when I will feel well enough for work and when I won't, we are taking it on a "changing goal posts" basis dependant on how I'm feeling.   I agree it is mentally challenging as well as the physical aspects and would say that if you don't have occupational health at your employers then listen to your body and take the time needed to fully heal both physically and mentally.  Your GP should support you fully in this.   Good luck and I hope you get the time you need to be well.
  • Hi , I had a lumpectomy 2 weeks ago . 
    I’m feeling ok physically now , like you said I too was sore and still a bit itchy . 
    it’s more mentally for me , since being diagnosed 3 months ago. , I don’t feel myself anymore and my anxiety is high . 
    I think together with being pre menopausal it’s really tough . 
    It sounds like you are probably not ready to go back , I personally think you should increase your time off , give yourself time to get look after yourself physically and more mentally . 

• Thank you for your reply. I’m really itchy too! Especially the lymph scar which is so close to my armpit. 
    we do have occupational health at work, I don’t know why I haven’t been referred to them. I’ll ask. 
    Good luck with your recovery xx

• Thank you. I plan to see my GP this week to discuss taking more time off. My GP is lovely fortunately. I think I need to know what other treatments I will have, because not knowing is unsettling. 
    Good luck for your recovery and treatment xx

• Hi, sorry you find yourself in the club no one wants to join but glad you have found us.  I had surgery December 2022 and am still off work.  To be honest the journey doesn’t really take its toll on you until all treatment has finished.  The hormone therapy is another battle getting used to pains, aches, hot flushes and anxiety.  My work phoned me every 6 weeks with the same questions.  How are you? Have you finished your treatment?  What’s your intentions rework?  Unless you have had breast cancer you don’t understand.  Do what is right for you and don’t worry about work.  You are legally protected under the disability discrimination act.  Reading your message is exactly as I was!  I ended up at counselling and it was all about work!  I felt so alone and as if nobody cared.  Look after yourself!! This is not a quick fix.  It took me about fourteen months to feel like a new normal.  Still getting there.  Ask you doctor for 3 months sick note, that way your boss will know it is not a quick fix. Take care. 

• Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I am on the waiting list for counselling (MacMillan) and yes, I already know that work is my biggest worry. It’s really complicated isn’t it? Remembering something a colleague once said to me about how she felt rushed back during her treatment and wondering if that’s what they think about me. My line manager is a friend but she hasn’t been in touch much and I don’t feel she really understands. Another complication!! I imagined a straight line of treatment and recovery but find it really is nothing like that. I need to remind myself that I’m protected in law regarding work. 
    with best wishes, S xx

1. I work on a ward and had the same op as you. I had 4 weeks off.The consultant signed me off for 4 weeks when I told him what it entailed.No way would I have been able to go back to work after 2 weeks.Then I was put on phased return for a fortnight.So I wouldn’t worry about taking more than 2 weeks off x 
  • Hi Susoir,

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and have recently been told I am clear. I’m sorry to learn what you are going through and can tell you, that two weeks is no we’re near enough time to have off work, when you had surgery just nine days ago, that’s outrageous. After my radiotherapy, my Oncologist said I needed more time off as the the tiredness etc, kicks in weeks later, my GP then signed me off for a further six weeks, in total I have been off for four months. 

it is so important to listen to your own body and if your not well enough, don’t be afraid to tell your GP you need more time. Also speak to your breast cancer nurse, that’s what she is therefore, mine still ring me every so often. It might also benefit you keep your manager in work updated about what is happening, they should be understanding of your plight. I would also point out, that the Equalities Act 2010, states that cancer is classed as a disability and therefore, you cannot be treated less favourably as that is classed as discrimination. Please check this site and look for ‘What Are My Rights At Work’, it will explain it all.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you.

Take care and big hugs.xxx