Hello and recovery question

• 26 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Hi everyone. I hope you’re all doing well- so breast cancer is a bit of a challenge isn’t it? Scream  I had surgery 9 days ago (lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy) and don’t have the follow up for another 3 weeks. It’s a long time to wait. I’m healing ok, I still feel really tired and my scars are tight and itchy and sore, but ok. I am interested to know what other people have done about work. I’m a teacher. The surgeon signed me off for 2 weeks and said to get further sick notes from the GP. The thought of going back to work next week makes me feel dread, I’m not feeling strong enough. I have no idea what the expectations are around time off, and feel stressed about it. I don’t know whether others bounced back to work quickly or, like me, feel they need more time? As much as the physical recovery, I’m finding it hard emotionally too. It’s life changing stuff. 
I would love to hear from others about their experiences. Take care everyone, S

• Hi, hope you are taking it easy and resting up.

I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node clearance just coming up for 6 weeks ago. I was initially signed off for 3 weeks but after 3 weeks there was no way I was ready to go back to work, I've just had to have a rethink about going back to work as my further 3 weeks is up. The mind said I was ready to go back, so I went into work and tried a couple of hours but soon realised that working in a bakery being on my feet all day and doing a job that involved a lot of carrying, lifting, reaching and squeezing into confined spaces really wasn't going to work. I'm very lucky that my boss is very understanding and agreed that it wasn't really best for me, as it turns out I've just got my Oncotype results back and the next stage of treatment should start very soon.

I would say listen to your body, the mind might be willing but the body isn't always able and don't beat yourself up about not returning to work. Everyone is different, we all heal at different paces and a lot will also depend on the type of job you do. You need to do what's best for you, put yourself first, I know it's difficult, we have to remember to be kind to ourselves, this is a very emotional time, we all need time to adjust to what life has thrown at us. I am only now beginning to realise that it's ok to do what's best for me, I need to take the time to recover physically and mentally and ask for support when I need it.

Keep looking after yourself and remember there is always a lot of likeminded people on here to help and support you xx

• Hi Susior,

I was diagnosed may this year had my lumpectomy and sentinels removed in June. Commenced chemotherapy in July last cycle due Friday then radiotherapy in October followed by hormone suppressants and bone infusions.

I have not worked as a nurse since my diagnosis. My BC nurse told me not to do front facing work whilst processing my diagnosis which was anxiety provoking and scary. I would have been unable to concentrate at work. I was then advised to stay away from work whilst receiving treatment as you are shattered both mentally and physically. I have a good supportive manager who has told me to take the time to concentrate on my recovery and only return to work following treatment when I feel ready.

I'm hoping to return November time following my treatments if fit enough as the fatigue is very real.

I still have all my holidays to use and will do a phased return.

Be kind to yourself put your health first and take the advice from your medical team and GP. Everyone is different. Listen to your body. Xx

• Hi i work in the NHS  as a nurse and have just gone back to work on a phased return after nearly 6 months off. I had a lumpectomy , axilla lymph node clearance and as i was pre menopausal i had my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed. I also had 5 radiotherapy sessions and i am on Tamoxifen. I did not feel upto work for a long time and my job involves a lot of standing and being very switched on looking after my patients. I have been very lucky as i have a very understanding manager and Occupational health dept. My first week i went back for 2 x 4hr shifts and it felt scary at first to go back . I would suggest talking to your boss and explaining how you are feeling. You need time to heal emotionally and physically , something i had to learn through this journey is that you need to put yourself first for a change

• Hi Susoir

I have had a lumpectomy in July  and sentinel node biopsy too. I am to have a CT scan today before radiotherapy beginning at some point in the next few weeks.

I took early retirement as head of a primary school a couple of years ago and now work in a secondary school (I missed kids ). I can say from experience that as a teacher you should have 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay if you are permanently employed. That's the usual time scale for pay as I sorted out a number of staff who were on long term sick. Check what your contract says.

Looking back I would say do not rush back. I believe my ten years as a head affected my health to my own detriment. Teaching is such a hard job, there's too much to do and never enough time. I worked 24/7 and ignored exercise, eating healthily etc .. as there was always another report to write or meetings to have and so on.

Kids are the best bit of the job in my opinion but there are so many calls on your time as a teacher.

I am not going back until I am fully fit. ( I work now in a support role in which I teach language but am not classified as a teacher !!!). My students are BIG and could easily knock into me in the corridor etc. I still have Phesgo etc to go for some months so I know my appointments for treatment will continue, Take this time for you not for others. As you have had cancer like me you are protected as having a disability. This comes with legal protections. Have a look at Macmillan for their information on this. I emailed my GP (my surgery does everything online) and requested a sick note citing 'Breast Cancer treatment' and asked for 3 months (this is the maximum they can give I think). Then I asked for it to be renewed when the time came up. Keep a copy of the sick note when it comes through for your own records and send the original to HR at your school -  I attach it to an email to HR with a covering note asking for confirmation of receipt. That way, work knows what's going on and I have my time off to get better.   

Look after yourself. Remember you have already been through a lot. This time is for you.

Big hugs xx 

• Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It’s very validating hearing from a former HT! I think I feel that “my cancer” isn’t “as bad” as others- it’s likely very treatable with surgery, radiotherapy and Tamoxifen (or similar). There’s a chance I’ll need further surgery but I don’t get the results of my surgery for a while. I know it sounds silly but I’m worried people will think I’m taking the p*SS because I look fine, I didn’t have a mastectomy and I likely won’t have chemo. I am stupidly worried about what others think. But I know my head isn’t on straight enough for work. 
    Jeez, this isn’t easy is it?! 

• Thank you so much for your reply Pixie ‍♀️ It’s really hard because we’re all different so there’s no clear answer. I feel ridiculously guilty for being off even though I know I’m not at all able to work. I think I’m finding the emotional side harder than the physical atm. 
    I’m really pleased you have decided to take more time off to recover. And it gives me hoe xx

• Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. My BC nurse has only spoken to me twice, once soon after diagnosis then last week to see how I was after surgery. I’ve never met her in person. I do feel very alone with it all tbh and I think that’s what is making me doubt my feelings and to get a sense of what is ‘normal’ in recovery. 
    You sound like you have been through so much. I hope you have lots of support and love around you xx

• Hi, and thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It is really helpful to hear other people’s experiences. You have been through so much! 
    I haven’t heard much from my school, I think because of them having to leave me alone when signed off. But the lack of communication has made me a bit paranoid, wondering if they’re expecting me back anytime soon. My direct manager is nice but makes light of everything (“you’ll be back in no time, it’s a straight forward procedure” etc and I’m paranoid she thinks I’m pulling a fast one! Worrying about work is definitely getting in the way of my recovery. 
    I do hope you are doing well, xx

• Hi Susoir,

I have a good partner and family around me. I also make use of this site. I take some advice and comfort from others who are further on in their treatment plan and offer good advice.

Hopefully once you meet your team in person and have uour diagnosis and treatment plan you will feel more supported.

It is a scary lonely journey at the start. It's difficult to understand all the types, treatments and terminology.

I hope you have a supportive family and friends around you. 

I know I shut mine out to begin with I couldn't even say the word cancer without crying.

There are lots of treatments out there now for breast cancer. Good luck in your recovery. Please be kind to yourself and do things at your pace. This forum is good for chatting with others. Also make use of the macmillan nurses and cancer care they are very knowledgeable and supportive xx

• Don't worry Susoir about lack of communication from school, I've not heard from mine either.  A bit of kind communication would be such a lift wouldn't it? Just keep going, one day at a time. People who have not directly experienced cancer themselves will come out with all sorts of trite comments. Expect more. I have been asked by my family 'all better now???? ' and 'are you improving ???' and that's my family...