I'm new..lol

• 6 replies
  • 481 subscribers

I'm new to all this but hello everyone..any advice will be appreciated..

• Hi Farley,

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and have recently been told I am clear. It is a shock when you are told, but it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. The strides made in modern cancer medicine these days are amazing and they can do so much for you. However, there is also a lot you can do for yourself.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and ask your breast cancer nurse as many questions as you want, plus you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi Boobybabe2

Thank you for your reply..I also had a lumpectomy +2 nodes removed after 6 chemo sessions.then back for secondary surgery before 10 radiotherapy sessions.told all is clear +still receiving preventive treatment now..it has been a long process +I have been positive all through it.Just finding it difficult now to process what I have just been through.It has been a whirlwind since October..but there is light at the end of the tunnel..I hope. Xx

Big hugs to you too. It's life changing  unfortunately 

• Hi Farley,

I have the same diagnosis as you however mine is grade 3 so having 4 cycles of preventative chemotherapy. 3rd one due tomorrow so half way there.

I will then have radiotherapy and hormone suppressants. I'm not there yet but read with I terest on those who have experience of them.

I wish you well with your recovery and happy to chat in forum xx

• Hi Farley

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with breast cancer. Once the treatment finishes it usually takes a little bit of time to adjust to going from having loads of appointments to having none.  There is a brilliant paper written by a Dr Peter Harvey called After the treatment finishes then what?  It describes perfectly what the post-treatment world is like.  I've read it myself and found it helpful.  Here's the link to that article in case you want to read it: After the Treatment Finishes - Then What? (workingwithcancer.co.uk).

Wishing you the best of luck in the future.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• I’ve just read the paper mentioned by Daisy. I can’t recommend it enough. Realistic, detailed and so very accurate as to different feelings and timescales. 

• I have just read this paper +it  everything is so true in it..thank you