It's only just begun

• 13 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Good morning everyone, and Hello Smiley

I am a Yorkshire lass, and 59. I've been divorced since 2006 and remained single. 

In the last two weeks I have learned I have breast cancer, and my surgery is this Friday.

So much information to absorb. I prefer it that way though, as I found the waiting period and not knowing very wobbly. 

I do know I have to have radiotherapy and endocrine prime therapy. I am keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to have Chemo. I really don't want to feel ill. This may sound daft to all of you that have already had the surgery and radiotherapy, but I am a complete newbie and I can't even imagine not having mobility in my arm yet.  

I feel like a yo-yo in and out of the hospital for all the appointments. I hope to be able to continue working as it has made me feel more normal and taken my mind off it. 

I don't really know what to expect when I get home after the surgery, or when I start the radiotherapy. I was shocked to learn I can't drive for two weeks after the surgery.  My nurse told me the hormone therapy side effects are like a menopause..... the joys, and for five years too.

I have always been optimistic and thankfully this hasn't failed me.

Yet sometimes I get really cross, because just as it seems my life is on track then this happens. I remind myself I am not alone. There are many many women experiencing this too. There are many people with other forms of cancer and other forms of treatment, even in the royal family. 

So even my thoughts yo-yo. 

Every time my left breast talks to me with a feeling or whatever I get paranoid the cancer is there too. I would prefer both of them gone to be honest, but that's not going to happen for this surgery. Oh, and there's the worry, 'What if I don't wake up after the surgery?' bla bla. I need to go to confession, I don't have a will.... at least I have a funeral care policy in place. I suppose it's the Mum in me trying to get my ducks in a row and trying to be organised.

Being organised.... change the bed sheets and do the laundry before I go into hospital. I even emptied my compost bin yesterday because I knew I wouldn't be able to do it next weekend; shovelling all the compost out of the bin into a wheel barrow so I can use it on my roses when I have a chance- but of course, this will have to be done with my left hand and and only with a scoop. It's weird what you think about.

I don't give two hoots about what my breast will look like afterwards- they've done their job and now redundant. Bras are instruments of torture and I wish I never had to wear one ever again, but now I have to sleep in a post surgery bra after the surgery.... more joys, and the laughs just keep on coming...

This helps. Writing this down. Somehow putting my thoughts here has seemed to unscramble things? These past two weeks a lot has seemed scrambled. 

Well, the house work won't do itself, so I will say Tah-Tah for now, keep calm and carry on, sending hugs and love across the ether to find you where ever you are x

• Hi Pink Roses

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  You have a great attitude which is half the battle while going through this disease.

Wishing you the best of luck with surgery and with whatever further treatment your medical team puts you on.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Pink roses, 

Welcome to the forum. I also have breast cancer diagnosed May this year. I had a lumpectomy and sentinels removed in June and being grade 3 I required some chemotherapy before my radiotherapy and hormone suppressants.

You're right. It is a worry and your emotions go through the ringer. 

After my op i was unable to drive for 2 weeks weeks. No chores for 4 weeks and having to sleep with a bra on for 6 to 8 weeks. I hate bras also but I did it.

Thar was the downside.i had no pain maybe some discomfort. I was able to potter about the house. Do my exercises. I was really okay. Like you I fear anaesthetic and petrified I wouldn't wake up but the team were superb very patient and reassuring.

I hope all goes well with you're surgery and recovery. Reach out to others on here.i find it beneficial with others at different stages of treatment and able to share their experiences. Xx

• Hi Pink Roses

I think they have told you the worst case scenarios.  I had a mastectomy and nodes under my arm and my arm was a bit sore and uncomfortable but I could do most things with it except lift heavy things.  I drove again after 3 or 4 days and I am 86.  I know it is different for some people but thought you might like to hear a more positive story. I have just finished  15 sessions of radiotherapy, a bit more tired than usual and like sunburn on my chest but am nearly back to doing all my usual activities including gardening.  Hope you are lucky like me, try and think positive and will be thinking of you.xx

• Hi Pink Roses,

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and have recently been told I am clear. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. The strides made in modern cancer medicine now days is amazing and there is so much they can for you, however, there is also a lot you can do for yourself.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and ask your Breast Cancer Nurse as many questions as you like. Also, you get great support on here.

The week before my surgery, I cleaned my flat out, got a food delivery, so I could just concentrate on myself after the surgery, so what you are doing from that angle  is absolutely right. I last had anaesthetic twenty years ago, but this time everything was fantastic, believe me you have nothing to worry about. After the surgery take each day as it comes, you must do the arm exercises they give you, it is important as this helps with possible chording and lymphoedema. I was told to start mine the day after my surgery and then continue them after radiotherapy for at least four months - just do what you can and build on it. As for going back to work, the tiredness from radiotherapy can kick in weeks later, so please do rush back, you need to think of you now.

1. Please stop thinking about the bad stuff, it will only add to your stress and do your nut in. Try and maintain a calm atmosphere, I like to put a bowl of hot water with a few drops of lavender oil in it and place it in the living room or bedroom area, it really helps.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Thank you so much x Your reply is so helpful. Really good advice, thank you xxx

• Hi,

Such a normal reaction!

Lots of things around breast cancer seem to come with an emotional response and lots of worry, but quite honestly I worried about so many things that never actually happened.

After the operation, I was sent home with a leaflet for shoulder exercises. These are really useful because it feels like you are doing something positive to aid recovery. 

First couple of days for me was just like getting over a cold or having a tooth out - just need to potter around, eat lots of small healthy meals, and relax.

You get used to not lifting heavy things with one arm. 

Radiotherapy was fine, a few twinges driving home was the only reason I knew that anything had happened.

I was fortunate to not be working, and I could take recovery at my own pace and rest when I needed to.

Hormone tablets - my side effects had all gone within seven months.

Just need to take it as it comes, and keep asking questions and reading good sites like this and breastcancernow.

Like learning to drive, everyone was new to this once. GA was the bit I also worried about, but this was fine, I've since had two more general anaesthetics, and due one in a few weeks.

Take care.

• You’re  so welcome, remember, we’re all in this together.xxx

• I had a lumpectomy two weeks ago tomorrow. I drove after 9 days. I needed to go back to hospital for my results and it’s 2 buses away so I sat in the car and the seatbelt wasn’t across where I had surgery and I felt ok to drive. I took it steady and was fine. I too changed the bedding and did all those practical things before surgery but I’ll be honest I have been fine. I have managed the exercises they gave me and I’ve not been incapacitated at all. Good luck