New to this, just reaching out

• 6 replies
  • 481 subscribers

I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer early July. Was told it was grade 2 and needed chemo and surgery, started chemo 3 weeks ago, I am so up and down with my physical and mental health. I feel stressed / anxiety every day, I’m having aches and pains and worrying about them, not sure if I’m in my own head or they are happening. Feel quite low, cancer sucks 

• Hi Gwen118,

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and was recently told I was clear. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. The stress and anxiety you are having are down to the shock to your system, how scary this all is and the unknown. Although mine is somewhat different to yours, the strides made in modern cancer medicine these days are amazing, there is so much they can do for you. However, there is also a lot you can do for yourself.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here at anytime.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi,  thank you for your reply and the advice, I definitely will take on board what you have said and the pod cast sounds good. I have started the meditation journey hoping that might help, meditation is all new to me. I’m trying my best not to Google. 
    I’ve been avoiding friends, weirdly I feel embarrassed that this is happening, I know it’s not my fault and I need to let them in. 

Take care and thanks again Heart

• Hi Gwen118,

It is a worry and a scary journey. None if us like the unknown. We all like to be in control.

You will take control again once you feel a bit better.

I had a lumpectomy and sentinels removed June started chemotherapy in July have had 2 cycles now out if 4. I think the medication plays with your mood also. I'm like you and many others every wee pain I assume something to do with cancer.

Please be kind to yourself and do what you need to do to get through it. Remember it's time limited then we move into the next stage if recovery.

Use the forum and the macmillan nurses for support xxx

• Hi Gwen118

Welcome to the forum and I am  sorry to hear that  you were diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer.  I myself was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer nearly four years ago and after having chemo, surgery, and radiotherapy I made a full recovery.

Wishing you the best of luck with the rest of your treatment.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

•   thank you for your reply, wishing you well with your recovery Heart️‍ 

• Hi  thank you Heart️