New here

• 7 replies
  • 481 subscribers

Hi All, I have been diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago. I’m only 30 years old so it has been a bit of a shock for me. I don’t have any family or friends in UK, I live on my own and I’m a bit scared of what it is to come. I feel a bit overwhelmed for the last two days. 

• Hi Kasia1718,

I had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I finished my radiotherapy last week. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, you will meet other people in the same position as you, make new friends and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xx

• Thanks for the advice. I was very positive and kept my head up but I feel very very lonely. I’m scared of what will happen and how I will feel. Also physical changes… like loosing hair.

• Hi Kasia1718,

This is we’re Macmillan come in. It could be that you may only need radiotherapy, but if it’s the other scenario, then Macmillan can help and advise with that too.

Please get in touch with them and don’t forget, we are always here to support you.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.xxx

• Hi Kasia1718,

You've done the right thing on joining the forum. Everyone is very supportive and at different stages to help you along and to answer questions.

I have just had my 2nd round of chemo. My hair had been falling out and was very thin I was like you and scared to lose it. However my consultant encouraged me to take control and shave it off. I was not sure however I did it yesterday. It felt quite okay I was surprised. My wig is not to different from my own hair they are very good now. I've worn it out 2 days now and people I hadn't seen for a while didn't even realise. On a plus side it took two minutes to was my scalp dry it and put my wig on.

There are support groups, self refer to cancer care they do counselling and alternative therapies. I also attended a look good feel good session on skin care and make up where you meet up with ladies at all stages of treatment. It was a great morning. They also fo scalp care and wig fitting, nails etc. There are lots of supports out there. Please reach out.

Good luck xx

• It’s just feel shit, I’m going through some personal rough patch, now the chemo… I feel like I will never look the same ever again. That I will never be good looking again. Wanted to have kids and that may not be possible. It’s just too much to take it all in. I feel like it doesn’t make sense anymore. What is the point of fighting… 

• Hi Kasia1718,

I'm sorry you feel this way just now. Hopefully once you start a treatment plan helps to reassure you.

We have all been where you are now. It does get better.

Regarding children speak to your consultant. If you need chemo they will extract some eggs before treatment and freeze them for you. They did that for my daughter when she had breast cancer before her chemo.

Medicines are very good now. Please discuss how your feelings with the macmillan nurses and cancer care they are a great support. Also always people on here willing to talk and listen.

I wish you well. You are strong we are all strong. Just need some support from time to time. Its too big a mountain to climb alone xx

• Hi Kasia1718

Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry to hear that you you have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I know. Chemo seems scary but while it isn’t easy it is doable. You’ll be given medications to help with any side effects you may have.

If you feel up to it why not give the helpline a ring on 0808 808 0000 to talk to someone about how you are feeling. The helpline is open from 8 am to 8 pm 7 days a week 

Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge