Hello

• 13 replies
  • 479 subscribers

Just joined today. Triple negative breast cancer diagnosis, only on left side & not in lymph nodes but quite a large lump.  First chemo tomorrow. Terrified & on a real roller coaster of emotions as i had to stop HRT 2 weeks ago as well. Not sure who’s worse off, me or the husband coping with a no HRT for 2 weeks wife!

• Hi Elvie,

Welcome to the forum. I am her2neg er postitve.

I had my first round of chemo 3 weeks ago it doable just be kind to yourself. I have my 2nd one tomorrow.

Mostly tiredness, heartburn for me and bone pain with the injections you need to take from day 3 till 10.

However this time around I have double dose of omeprazole with peptac at hand and soluable paracetamol for the bone pain.

It's not pleasant but certainly not as bad as I thought. I had 10 days of feeling mew then 10 days of feeling okay again.

I had EC to have 4 cycles 3 weekly.

Hope all goes well for you xx

• Hi 

I joined yesterday….triple positive. Start my chemo on12 August. Dreading it. 

Good luck with your treatment xx

• Hi Elvie,

I had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed, and I’ve just completed my radiotherapy. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. I know mine is somewhat different  from yours, but there is so much out there for you and a lot you can do for yourself.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. It may also be a good idea to take your husband with you, they are open between 10-4 and you can pop in anytime for coffee and chat. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes and being angry and emotional is perfectly normal, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi, I’ve finished chemo for Triple Negative at the end of June. I had 12 weekly Paclitaxel & carboplatin (alongside pembro - immunotherapy. I then moved on to EC which was every 3 weeks for 12 weeks. I didn’t find chemo as bad as I had built it up in my own head to be. The EC was harder but only because it made me really tired, not once was I physically sick. 
    My tumour is on the left side, nothing in my lymph’s. I’m having a lumpectomy next week then radiotherapy. Since being diagnosed in December it’s been a rollercoaster but honestly it’s gone really fast. 
    Wishing you all the best in your treatment xx

• Thank you MissMolly. Everything went ok today for my first. Hope your 2nd went ok as well. Xxx

• Hi Lovely Louis. All went fine today. Definitely not as bad as I was expecting, even nodded off at one point. Good luck for your first on the 12th. Xxx

• Thank you Boobybabe2, excellent ideas & advice. Some I already started & others I’m definitely going to try. My imagined expectations for today were far far worse than the reality. Fingers crossed I’ll cope with the side effects ok. Xxx

• Hi WhatNext, thank you so much for replying. You have the same diagnosis & same treatment plan as me. My imagination for today was far worse than the reality as well. Good luck for your lumpectomy next week. Xxx

• Hi Elvie,

Yes everything went well today thank you.

I'm glad you got your first one done. Keep a journal of any side effects. They give meds for them all.

My aim this coming 10days is to be side effect free. Ive been given advice on medications to take and when. One of the nurses also suggested freezing some pineapple juice and breaking it up like a slushie if you do get any mouth ulcers. She said there is an emzyne in thr juice that helps. Every little helps

The fatigue you get used to. Just rest when you feel you need to. 

I wore my wig today for the first time my hair is coming out in clumps now. My nurse said she didn't realise I had a wig on so thst was reassuring.

Good luck let me know how you get on xx

• Thanks Missmolly. Glad your latest session went ok. 
    I’ll definitely use the pineapple juice idea.

I’ve got my medicine supply for the upset tummy & nausea, so of course my first side effect has been being a bit backed up - I’m starting a side effects diary Thumbsup

Glad your first wig wear went well. I’m not sure if I’ll get one yet, I may stick with scarves etc - hair is still with me at present but I’ve only had my first of 12 weekly cycles. Not sure when it’s likely to go. Most of the info I’ve seen relates to people on 3 week cycles. 

Hope you have a good week. Xxx