Hello….another newbie

• 4 replies
  • 481 subscribers

Hi

I still can’t get my head round why I have joined a group we don’t want to be in. Found a lump in left breast in early April. Fast tracked, biopsies, etc etc. Had lumpectomy and right side reduction in May, and everything was looking good. Radiotherapy and endocrine therapy to follow….until the last histology had changed and my cancer is now HER2 positive. I start chemo on 12 August. 61 no history of breast cancer in family. I am gutted !

• Hi, welcome to the forum no one wants to be a part of.

I'm 62yrs  her2negative had my lumpectomy and sentinels removed, luckily nodes clear. Was to have radiotherapy and hormone suppressants however as grade 3 now having chemotherapy 1st. Had first cycle of 4, 3 weeks ago, next one due on Friday. Some days are harsh but it is manageable. You are given medication for side effects.

My worst side effects were heartburn, bone pain and fatigue. I wish you well with your treatment. Xx

• Thank you for your good wishes. It seems so overwhelming at the moment ! But the sooner it starts the sooner it’s finished. I sometimes have heartburn so have stocked up on gaviscon! 

• Hi Lovely Loius,

Yes I have plenty of peptac and rennies to hand this time around.

I also found effervescent paracetamol was  good with the bone pain. 

Yes I was like you wanted it to start treatment to make sure I was fighting it but also as you say the sooner you start the sooner it finishes and we get our life back.

I hope all goes well for you. Keep us updated.

Be kind to yourself also xx

• Hi Lovely Louis,

I had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I’ve just finished my five days radiotherapy. I know that no one wants to be part of this kind of forum, but I believe that you like all of us, was bought here for a reason. 

I know yours is somewhat different to mine and I’m really sorry, that this has happened to you l You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes and you are angry, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xx