Recovery

• 4 replies
  • 455 subscribers

Hi I had my op and am resting at home I’ve found it hard as I live alone also Im usually full of beans always off somewhere even at 65 I work and have osteoarthritis! I knew I would get emotional after expected it. Sore under my arm, I had a lumpectomy and await results of lymph node test. I probably will need radiotherapy I’m very lucky as it was stage 1. I found a lump they found another tiny one. Surgeon is optimistic so here’s hoping I will be ok. I’m tired a lot and never expected that but it’s early days I’m eating well and drinking coffee and water. Taking ibuprofen and paracetamol. Hope everyone is doing ok. I’m new here. 

• Hi Carolina 12,

Glad you had your op and are recovering.

I had mine 3 weeks ago and doing well. I healed well and felt okay after a week. I think my tiredness is due to emotional  exhaustion. It's a lot to take in at the time.  Just do the gentle exercises when you feel up to it. I felt strange at first having to sleep with my bra on. Getting used to it now. 

Take time to yourself I am learning to chill, it's difficult when your used to working and being busy. But needs must for the time being.

At least weather is improving can sit out back for a bit.

Good luck in your recovery xx

• Thankyou hope youre doing well, I was concerned as I have a hospital appointment next week and do not drive so will get the train hoping Im up to it! I do know recovery time can vary. Yes been in garden its a lovely day x

• Hi, I really felt physically okay after a week. Emotionally, it's tiring. Just take your time. We all recover at different paces. Be kind to yourself. You know your body.

I'm doing well it wasn't in my nodes, and they removed it all, however grade 3 so to have preventative chemo before my radiotherapy. 

I'm relieved it's been removed.

Have an echocardiograph next week and appoint to discuss chemo starting. Will feel better when in treatment as much as I'm dreading it. Fingers crossed not many side effects experienced.

Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

• Hi Carolina12,

I had a lumpectomy just over two months ago and two lymph nodes removed. Like you, I was stage one and I’m now awaiting radiotherapy. It is a shock to the system when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Please do not visit Dr Google, as there is so much conflicting information that it makes your head spin and stresses you out.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself, take it one day at a time - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx