surgery coming up

• 18 replies
  • 485 subscribers

Hello, I am hoping that someone can tell me the best things to take into hospital for a lumpectomy. I have been told that I will only be in for the day but not to bring in too many things and for a family member or partner to bring them after the surgery. Unfortunately I do not have that option and need to take everything with me.

Any advice would be most helpful. I am going in on Tuesday 25/6/24 so time is not on my side xxx

• Hi I had my lumpectomy 2 weeks ago. I only took a dressing gown and slippers with me. My tooth paste and brush to do my teeth. Remember to wear you non wire bra which you need to keep on day and night for 6-8 weeks.

You go in the morning get seen by consultant pen the area. Then the anaesthetist sees you. You walk to theatre and wake up quickly afterwards.

I was to be in for 10am. Went to theatre at 12.30 and left for home at 4pm.

I have recovered well with minimal pain. It was more a discomfort.

They give you pain relief to take home. Just be careful because with my anxiety and taking the pain relief I had a doggy stomach. I only used a couple of the tablets.

Good luck wishing you all the best xx

• Hi Leona4,

I had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal just over two months ago and was in for just a day too. I live on my own, so decided to take with me what I thought I needed.

I packed things like antiseptic wipes, face wipes, flannel, hand cream ( it’s gets very warm and dry in the hospital), cleanser, toner, moisturiser, decanting into small bottles is helpful, toothpaste, toothbrush. Also things like a magazine or puzzle book, I took my iPad as I’m partially sighted and can see it better. Of course you need the usual pyjamas, change of clothes and underwear, slippers may be helpful and a few little snacks.

The care I had was amazing and I’m sure yours will be too, don’t worry about anything you will be fine. I know this is a scary time, but keep positive and dump the negativity and above all, be kind to yourself - and don’t forget, you can come and talk to us shower on here at anytime.

Good luck with everything, let us know how you get on and I’m  keeping fingers and everything crossed.

Love and hugs.xxx

• Thank you so much, I am hoping it won't be to long in the hospital and I can recuperate at home xxx

• Hi and thank you so much. I do not want to take too much but do not want to be left lacking. Is it true that you cannot do ANYTHING at home on your own for weeks? Please tell me this not true xx

• Good luck, you've got this. You can let us know how you get on. Xx

• Hi, you can't drive for 2 weeks and no lifting for 3-4 weeks. I really felt fine did the exercises and pottered around the house doing nothing much. Just be kind to yourself and let yourself heal. Xx

• Hi , which side is the op ? Is it your main arm ?
    Mine was , so you need to be careful when lifting e.g a kettle . I remember I couldn’t use a knife to chop veggies for a few weeks . I felt like there was too much pressure on my wound . It might be good to get some meals stocked up that you can just pop in oven or microwave . 

just for the 1st week or Sao.

• Mine is this Monday 24th, only told on Tuesday when it was. They said dressing gown and slippers or slip on shoes, they also said if I didn't have a dressing gown to NOT to bother buying one as they'll will supply a gown. I have to be there for 7.30 and they're trying to put me 1st on the list due my fear. Im not taking anything else other than my hubby and phone x

• Hi lovely 

just wishing you good luck for your surgery for tuesday 25/06 .

I had a deep excision and lymph nodes in my left breast removed was told I was to stay in over night but as I was 

1st on the list I was ok to home in the evening.slippers andif you have a dressing gown  you dont need many things toothbrush and toothpaste in case you need to stay over.

be thinking of you big hug xx

• Hi you won't need anything else. They are well equipped and if going that early will be home for afternoon. I went in at 10, op was 12.30 and left for home at 4pm. Good luck xx