Newly diagnosed

• 10 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Today I've had my cancer diagnosis confirmed following a triple assesment on 10 June. Its been a shock!

I have a Grade 2 invasive ductal cancer and am booked in for a lumpectomy & sentinal node removal on 28 June - I feel very fortunate that I'm getting my surgery so quickly. All being well I'll have radiotherapy 8weeks post surgery and hormone therapy.  At this point I don't know if I'm HER2  positive but have been told that if I am I'll also need chemo.  Its all a bit bewlidering at the moment and I'm struggling to retain the info I'm reading, thankfully my husband has taken extensive notes Relieved. Im guessing this brain fog is down to lack of sleep over the past week and anxiety and withdawal of HRT.

I've just dipped into some of the forum topics and have already started a list of things to investigate if they become relevant to me - thank you all for such informative posts

I wish you all well with your treatments x

• Hi, welcome to the forum. I had my diagnosis her2+grade 3. Had lumpectomy  and nodes removed 2 weeks ago. Recovered well. Thankfully not in nodes but because grade 3 need chemo now.

I have oncology appointment tomorrow to discuss chemo and next treatments. It's scary stuff but trying to take it one step at a time.

Good luck with your op and wishing you a speedy recovery xx

• Hi Cornflower60,

I had a lumpectomy nearly two months ago and two lymph nodes removed, I am now awaiting the results of a further biopsy before five days of radiotherapy. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in and leave the paperwork alone for a while too, it’s too much trying to take it all in. The brain fog, anxiety and sleep pattern going west is all perfectly natural.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a walk every day (British weather permitting), do a bit of exercise and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Please whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google, because there is so much conflicting information, it’s just exhausting and stresses you out.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi Boobybabe,2

Thank you so much for reaching out to me. What you say makes perfect sense. I'll check out some meditation as I can see that it could help. It's not something I've done before.

I hope things work out well for you and you can move onto the next stage of your recovery.

Thanks again & take care too xx

• Hi Cornflower60,

No worries, anytime, we’re in this together.xxx

• Hi, 

I'm also newly diagnosed and found out this week that I have a grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma and Im Terrified... Not sure how I'll handle this group stuff but giving it a go.. No treatment planned yet as still awaiting receptor results on Wed... 

• The waits are the worse try to keep self distracted. Chat to others further along in theor treatments that helps me. The macmillan nurses are brilliant and informative. Hope you get a treatment plan soon xx

• Hi, cornflower60, 'm also recently diagnosed. 31st may, stage 2 multifocal breast cancer. I'm still waiting to see the consultant, so I've no treatment plan yet. The waiting for unknown periods is exhausting, my anxiety is through the roof with it so not sleeping and upset stomache  great huh.

. I've started a little log book so any info I have gotten from nurse I can add it in, or any questions to ask later. Also means as I'm so brain fogged from the shock of the news and the lack of sleep i can go back and have a read later. 

It's great you have a plan for the treatments. And hopefully the anxiety eases up to make things a little easier x

• Hi Boobybabe2,

thanks for your helpful advice, especially re the meditation.  Under normal circumstances I tend to process things in the background with lots of physical activity keeping me busy but thats not an option right now due to lack of energy so I'm going to give meditation a go.  I'm also doing some yoga to aid relaxation. Im fortunate to have a wonderful family around me who are helping out too.

I hope your results are good and the radiotherapy goes well.

Take care Slight smile xx

• Hi Lex24, gosh I'm sorry that you've not yet had your treatment plan...I've certainly found the relatively small amount of waiting between appointments utterly exhausting so you have my sympathies.  I got a Macmillan organiser in the post the other day & its really useful to be able to log everything in one place.  The brainfog is awful isn't it?  the combo of diagnosis shock, sleep deprivation and in my case withdrawal of HRT is grim but one day at a time.

Im spending a little time in bed at the end of each day acknowledging my anxiety & the horribleness of the situation but then moving on to being grateful for all the lovely things in life that still surround me are remain the same......my theory is that if I fall asleep to more positive thoughts I'lll sleep better which can only be a good thing.

Hang on in there and I hope you are able to move forwards soon,

Take care x

• Hi Cornflower60,

So glad I’ve been of help and thanks for your good wishes.xxx