New Here -advice about exhaustion after mastectomy

• 12 replies
  • 487 subscribers

I had a mastectomy in January after having two earlier lumpectomies.  I didn't feel too bad at first, but lately I have to rest after the slightest exertion.  Walking is exhausting , it's as if my legs ache and can't support me, I'm finding it hard to sleep at night because of this.  I also have pain under my arm and feel as if there's a tight band around my chest.

Is this normal, do I just need more time?  I take Anastrazole for the next 5 years.

• Hi WizzyWig

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with breast cancer. While pain under the arm is not that unusual I suggest that you get on to your breast care nurse and tell her about the chest tightness.  It may be nothing but it's best to get these things checked out particularly for your own peace of mind.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi WizzyWig,

Like Daisy53 said, the best thing to do is to speak with your breast care nurse/oncologist. Most probably your symptoms might be a side effect of Anastrazole. I have been taking Letrozole for more than 2 months now and it caused similar symptoms plus some irregular heart rhythm. Anxiety also plays a role in making thing worse! Just speak with your BC nurse for your peace of mind! The very best of luck with your treatment!

Lana xx 

• Hi

I have had two lumpectomy and if they cannot get clear margins. It will be a mastectomy. Could I ask did you have implants after mastectomy. If so are you pleased with implant. Thanks

• Spar I decided not to have an implant after my single mastectomy.  I have a silicone "breast" that I put into the cup of my bra.  It seems to be working out okay.  Best of luck, I hope you get clear margins.

• Hi, sorry you find yourself in this waiting for results situation.  I was told the same by my surgeon.  My margins were not clear however I was offered further surgery or a mastectomy.  I asked if a mastectomy would be a safer option in that the cancer would not return.  The surgeon said not.  The only risk was that I’d need further surgery.  I asked how many surgeries you could have and he said it depended on the size of your breast.  I had a further 1cm removed and thankfully didn’t need a further surgery.  Best of luck with your results. 

• IHi Wizzywig,sorry to hear what your going through and its best to get it checked out for your own peace of mind---hoping things improve for you--im on the verge of getting a Masectomy,but im not rushing into it...take care

• Hi my grace,im glad you didnt need a masectomy and you got clear margins so hopefully everything will get better for you.can I ask if you had radiation at all --sorry i am a bit unsure regarding  the surgery that you still need to get!!my confusion stems from th efact that i need to make my mind up about a lumpectomy followed by margins and radiation /or masectomy imin my late 70s and suffer from anxiety and stress ......hope you can understand?

1. Hi Laura2, I was expecting to have a lumpectomy and radiation but at the next appointment they advised a mastectomy as the lump seemed a bit bigger and the nodes were involved. I took their advise as I feel radiation at my age, in my 80s might be draining and I shan't be wanting to be sunbathing topless!! I just want to be sure it has all gone. You may feel differently. My mastectomy is a week today so will let you know how it goes. xx
  • Hellophotogirl,yes i can understand why they would prefer you to take the masectomy,im also going towards that lcourse to take -----me too im nearer 80 so im hardly likely to be exposing myself to the sun ect.---I wish you all the best in your forthcoming treatment and hope everything goes welll---its forums like this one I do appreciate as I live alone ..take care.

• Hi wizzywig. I too had a mastectomy at the end of January plus immediate reconstruction. Ive had different pains from you, but I phoned and asked my breast nurse (I also had lumps and bumps). She explained what all the things could be, but suggested I go in for a proper assessment and physio. They checked me very carefully and were able to put my mind at ease. Plus physio was able to explain and give me exercises to help.

DEFINITELY worth ringing the BC nurse. Wishing you all the very best. Take care of yourself, be kind to yourself, do any exercises you've been given regularly. Most of all listen to your body. Big hugs.