Mastectomy

• 2 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Hi

I am new here but am struggling after having a mastectomy 5 weeks ago.  It all started in 2020 when I found a small lump in my breast.

2020 Diagnosed with Encysted papillary carcinoma in situ.  Advised lowest grade of cancer.

removed by a wide local excision and further surgery for re-excision of margins.

2021 recurrent encysted papillary cancer removed again and in 2022 further surgery to remove margins.

2023 - 4 lumps were found and further surgery to remove palpable mass.

Again the margins were not clear, so suggested a mastectomy with or without reconstruction.

it was so difficult to decide what to do and in the end I had a Mastectomy with no reconstruction. It is early days but I wish I had not had it done. I am in pain and tired. The scar is lumpy. Wish I had tried for the margins to be done one last time.  It would have given me more time to decide. I am useless at making decisions. It was supposed to be the lowest grade of cancer yet I had a mastectomy, just gutted. 

I appreciate people are far worse off than me but I am struggling with the pain, just told to take painkillers.

• Hello Mrs Blackbird. Sounds like you've really been on a roller coaster which doesn't seem to end! I'm 6weeks after my mastectomy, but had an immediate reconstruction. Strangely enough I've been wondering if I should have put off reconstruction because of the long recovery period, pain, and limitations. I too was told mine was very early low grade. But there was ALOT of it. 

But I am trying to focus on what I can have an effect on, not what I can't change (not always easy). I would say, keep doing any exercises given to you several times A-day, every day. Drink lots of water and eat lots of fresh veg. Get out even if just a short walk every day and do what makes you happy if you can. I've discovered I love walking with music on (still able to hear traffic though) - I go into another world. Plus ask your breast clinic nurse about stronger pain killers or your gp. I'm seeing my surgeon and physio this week cos of lumps and pain...I don't know what is normal after all.

A friend also sent me a feel good book called chicken soup for breast cancer survivors soul. Full of short feel good stories. 

Don't get me wrong I still have my down days and different levels of pain on a daily basis, but I'm focusing on my mental attitude to help deal with the physical side. 

I know others have mentioned local cancer support groups. Hopefully someone will give you details of those (my memory is awful). I'm sure macmillan would if you asked them (here, the website or at hospital)

Sorry so long a prattle. But I really hope you are in a better place soon. Massive hugs

• Oops...brain is mush. Mine was early non invasive, but intermediate and high grade cells