Burning pain under arm after lumpectomy and sentinel node removal

• 43 replies
  • 463 subscribers

Hi Everyone!

Newbie and trying to navigate round this Marvellous site.!

Had lumpectomy and sentinel node removal on 5th February since Saturday I have this awful like sunburn pain under arm from armpit to elbow..still doing exercises but so painful when skin is touched. Against body or by material Or I move my arm . Saw breast nurse and doctor today who said probably nerve damage in op..He prescribed NEFOPAM as paracetamol and ibropfem not helping. Hoping will gradually go. Does anyone else have this experience.?

Thank you 

• Thanks Cuffcake that's great I'll have a look for a shaver - never thought of that, wishing you al the best too xx

• Hi sorry to hear about your pain problems, I'm having exactly the same op 3 weeks on Mon, found out my date yesterday so feeling very nervous, only had my diagnosis last Fri, invasive ductal carcinoma grade 2, started hormone therapy today as I am in a trial so will take it right up to the op date.

Will you need radiotherapy, I've been told it's a strong possibility?

Any tips about the op, things I may need and what to expect straight after?

Thanks in advance x

• I've just been told I need to go on letrozole. Any thing I should ask and is it OK to travel on that med? 

• Hi Kat... I'm Grade 2 Invasive lobular carcinoma .I had a guide wire put in by local anaesthetic in morning before op as lesion 5cm deep.

I was am surgery and second on list.Was encouraged to have sips of water given a cup and nurse wrote time on ..good for 3hrs.They don't want you dehydrated. 

I was very nervous too..kept needing loo..But the nurses were amazing and made me laugh.. I did buy 100% cotton knickers to wear from m and s otherwise you're given disposable ones not nice..

You're given black compression stockings to wear and like red funky slipper socks too.as well as wearing your hospital gown like a coat..I did take a light dressing gown as I had to walk to ultrasound to have wire put in.

I was walked down to theatre and then got on bed to have anaesthetic again couldn't fault anaesthetist so kind ..didn't need to count ...Next thing being told to wake up in recovery room I was so tired just grunted lol.back on day care ward I slept more and then you're encouraged to eat and drink something and go to loo to make sure you're ok to discharge. 

I was very tired and sore. Boob looked like someone had used blue spray paint on..radio active dye..for lymph nodes..I was surprised how blue my wee was from this and few days later green poo lol

Due to have radio therapy and Letrozole.

Hope this helps in some  small way.

Im sure all the ladies on here have much more they can share and help with.

Sending love and a cuddle.

And you are stronger than you think.

xxxx

• Hi Kat I was grade 2 invasive DCIS hormone receptive HER negative I had lumpectomy surgery on 7.2.24 and also had a fibroadenoma removed from same breast and surgery to the other breast for symmetry purposes and sentinel lymph node removal. I had a radioactive seed inserted a few days before which wasn't painful and had to go to nuclear medicine department for an injection of dye on the morning of surgery which was painful. Then to the day surgery unit where I  was taken to a cubicle- my husband wasn't allowed to come in. They took some medical information history and did BP. They gave me a gown and white stockings to wear and red slipper socks - no paper pants. I had taken a dressing gown an did wear it as it got a bit cool sitting for a while.. I took a tablet and headphones and had downloaded a couple of films and some music in case I had a long wait. The anaesthetist came in and asked a few questions and explained what would happen he was lovely. Then surgeon came in and explained what he would do and marked me with pen which was a bit scratchy. I was given 2 tablets and a while later nurse came to walk me along to theatre. I got onto table and Anaesthetist was lovely again and I didn't count down just must've gone out quickly. I woke up in recovery room very tired and groggy, couldn't face the toast they brought but had 2 cups of tea and eventually managed 2 custard creams. Nurse walked with me to toilet as I was quite wobbly. I didn't feel up to calling my husband to come and pick me up so nurse rang hi., but lady in next cubicle seemed much better calling multiple people and organising what she was having for tea. Nurse gave me a support bra to wear but I had a wireless bra so just put that on she said it was fine. When I got home I tried to put the bra on but it was too small, so I'd put it on at hospital if they give you one. They gave me a large plastic bag to put my clothes in when I changed into the gown as at the unit where I was they discharge you from the recovery room you don't go back to the first cubicle. They put labels on my bags and took them to the recovery room I think as they were there when I woke up.My BC nurse rang the next morning to check how I was doing. My dressings were changed at an outpatient appointment the following week and she cleaned and moisturised and new ones put on. Then following week follow up appointment with consultant and dressings removed. I wore the stockings for 2 weeks just removed for showers which I did using a hand held shower so as to not soak the dressings. They gave me liquid morphine to take home at discharge but I only took a couple of doses and didn't like the feeling so went onto cocodamol for a few days then paracetamol with odd dose of cocodamol at night if needed. I did dye my hair week or so before the surgery as didn't know how agile I'd be afterwards for a while. Sorry this was so long just trying to think of everything that happened. Hope all goes well for you xx

• Hi I started letrozole today, not been told I can't do anything just a booklet with all the side effects in, although my nurse did say not to get hurg up on them as most are quite rare, mainly hot flushes and sweats and joint and muscle  pain seem to be  the most common so I'll let you know if anything occurs x

• Thanks for your reply, don't apologise  for the detail it's great to know so I can think about things in advance, which part of the country are you in , I'm Leicestershire, just asking for a treatment comparison?

• Thankyou so much for your response , great yo have some sort of idea in advance, sure I will have a bit more of an idea what to expect after my pre-op a week on Fri, where are you located if you don't mind me asking just for a treatment comparison, know all hospitals are different I'm Leicestershire?

• I'm near Newcastle uponTyne. I haven't been offered an MRI or CT scan which I've asked about and they've said not necessary that seems to vary by regions I do feel a bit worried about that and will ask about it again. I'm also interested to hear how you get on with the Letrozole as I will need either that or Tamoxifen but I'm really worried about taking it because of side effects xx

• Thanx for that. My nurse also sending me leaflet and prescription request to gp with vit D & calcium prescription request, as stronger than over the counter. The vit d helps the absorption of calcium, which they said more is needed on letrozole to avoid/reduce bone issues. She said if I choose not to take the letrazole i need to let them know for their records.

I'm already experiencing hot flushes and mood swings having stopped hrt (but mood also lack of sleep from pains and sleeping on back only...I'm a front sleeper). 

Thanx again and best of luck on your journey. Xx