Burning pain under arm after lumpectomy and sentinel node removal

• 43 replies
  • 462 subscribers

Hi Everyone!

Newbie and trying to navigate round this Marvellous site.!

Had lumpectomy and sentinel node removal on 5th February since Saturday I have this awful like sunburn pain under arm from armpit to elbow..still doing exercises but so painful when skin is touched. Against body or by material Or I move my arm . Saw breast nurse and doctor today who said probably nerve damage in op..He prescribed NEFOPAM as paracetamol and ibropfem not helping. Hoping will gradually go. Does anyone else have this experience.?

Thank you 

• Hi  and other lovelies, I remember well that carpet burn feeling even though it’s over 5 years ago now! Mine did ease over time and luckily went completely, but it did take a good while. And re sleeping, I had to sleep on my back for months, it was just too painful and uncomfortable on either side - the treated side hurt to lie on, and lying on the other side felt too dangly. But eventually back to side sleeping thank goodness. I used pillows to support the bad side for ages! I got used to sleeping on my back but was very glad when I could get back to my normal position. I must say I hadn’t anticipated it taking so long. Agree this is a great site, wonderful support. My favourite thread is Walking back to Happiness in the General section. Walking became my sanity saver doing my 3 weeks radiotherapy. I’m still rattling around the site over 5 years post diagnosis. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • I was given a small heart shaped cushion , made by volunteers, people who have been there. It's also to protect you from the seatbelt. I felt almost like something was tearing under my arm during exercises at times. It wasn't but probably stretching. It's a big op, I had all the lymph nodes removed. If the nerve improves its a very slow process. I'm in my second year of recovery now. The hormone blockers are another thing to get used to. Letrozole didn't suit me I'm now on Tamoxifen. I was told to have a Tamoxifen holiday when flying, only because I asked. He said it's in the leaflet. Do they expect us to know 16 mths later what is in a leaflet. 

I had a friend who got a DVT from having a long journey from Japan. Tamoxifen can increase the risk of DVT,  I'll stop one week before and have a break for another week after returning. I was a health professional and I like being helpful. I know how vulnerable this dis-ease makes one feel. I am back to dancing, slower but still doing it. Be hopeful Ladies. 

• Thank you for reply HF I'm the same sleeping no matter how tired its hard to get comfy. I am need pillow under armpit then i move its so sore have to do in stages...took tablets prescribed last night didn't help but need to give it time.   I 

I love walking and being outside .it's sunny today so lifts my spirits. I'll look up the thread walking back to happiness.

Thanks again I wish you well and lots of Happiness to come

xxxx

• That's really good information to share thank you..I've been told I'll be on Letrozole with radio therapy.

Love your dancingDancerxxx 

• Hi and sorry you find yourself in this position.  I actually felt the discomfort under the arm due to the sentinel node removal was the worst.  I found the U shaped cushion you would use on a flight good for tucking under your arm.  The worst was around 10 days to two weeks then it started to ease.  Hope this helps.  

• I did nothing much apart from walking for 5 mths. I still had a carer when my son came home. He doesn't really understand. Dancing really helps me plus meditation, learning how to be more spiritual Dancerth Kyle Gray and Angel guide. DancerDancerDancerKissKissing heartOk hand

• Should say I still was a carer,  he'sStar2 Epileptic. Green heartPrayPurple heart

• Thanks for the info - hope this isn't too personal but just putting it out there - how did you manage under arm hair removal on the affected side? I attempted a gentle stroke of the razor this morning and got a horrible freezing cold sensation in the armpit. Feel reluctant to try removal cream as it feels like the harsh chemicals wouldn't be good underarm at the minute. Think I'll have to leave it for a while. At least it's not summer tops season at the minute.

• Hi Skyemum, I wouldn’t use a razor under arm now as I have no lymph nodes and therefore if I cut myself an infection could take hold which would not be good. I have a little battery operated shaver which is perfect. It shaves underarm hair well and no risk of cuts. I don’t use hair removal cream as chemicals and messy. Wax - well I’m not that brave Rofl

Wishing you all the bes

Hugs from cuffcake 

• They don't recommend it for the reason of introducing infection. Blood pressure and blood tests on the other arm as well. I bought better gardening gloves and oven gloves for this reason. It changes so much, but it's worth it.