Newly diagnosed and completely overwhelmed!

• 11 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Hi, I’m feeling completely overwhelmed! 
Four months ago I lost my Mum (not to cancer.) I was and still am totally devastated. We were very close and I have found the whole grieving process incredibly difficult. 
In November I was called for my first routine mammogram (it’s my BIG birthday next week!) A couple of weeks later I was called back for more mammograms and a biopsy and told it looked like it was something.
Christmas was incredibly hard. Waiting for results, my first Christmas without my Mum and myself and my husband keeping it a secret from the rest of the family. There was no point making their Christmas harder than it already was. 
I got some results on 8th January. I was told it was DCIS but a biopsy and MRI was needed.
Last week I had a call whilst at work to go straight to the hospital. No time for my husband to get there so I was on my own when I was told they’d found a grade 3 2cm tumour and to cancel my holiday.We should have been going to the Maldives for my 50th birthday. I was so looking forward to it after the most difficult few months of my life! I know that’s such a first world problem but this was a holiday that we’ve saved for and I desperately wanted to go on. 
I see the consultant on Thursday to discuss the next steps for surgery and treatment. I’ve been told we’ve caught it early and I’m praying that is true. 
It’s been such a difficult time. People keep telling me I’m strong and I really aren’t. I just haven’t got a choice. What I really need throughout this journey is the one thing I can’t have and that’s my Mum xx

• Hi Flora74, I know how you feel. I was diagnosed in 2022 and have just finished all my treatment. I too would have loved to have had my mum around as I went through treatment. I was grade 3 stage 3 and had a 22mm tumour. If you click on my name you can read my journey. Staying positive is the best thing. It is hard to do but it will help you get through. I did have knock backs with some of the results but picked myself up and positive thinking again. 

Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Hi  I know I’m just starting this journey but I think that’s been the hardest part not having my Mum to hold my hand. Grieving and a cancer diagnosis at the same time is tough. 
    That is great news that you have finished your treatment. 
    Wishing you all the best too xx

• Hi Flora74, 

I am so sorry to hear that you have found yourself in this situation! I have been through the whole painful process of being diagnosed with breast cancer and receiving treatment (chemotherapy, radiotherapy and all the extras). I also lost my Mum (and Dad) but that was a few years ago. Life is never the same after you lose your parents. I have a wonderful family and 2 grown-up children but I do feel alone sometimes and I miss my parents terribly. During my cancer journey I found myself not once and twice 'talking' to my mum and crying myself to sleep. And I am well in my 50s! The best advice I can give from personal experience is try your hardest to stay strong and positive. It does help. I know the pain you are going through is hard to imagine but things will get better with time. As for your cancer, you will feel better when you know more about it and once your treatment plan is in place. Cancer treatment nowadays is not what it used to be even 5 years ago! Have trust in your medical team, they are brilliant and aim at not only treating but curing even more advanced cancers! I wish you the very best of luck with your treatment!

Lana xx

• Hi  thank you Heart️ 

It helps to hear from people who really understand xx

• Your story sounds similar to mine. I didn't tell family until I could tell my son face to face. I was diagnosed with dcis was due a lumpectomy but then had an mri that showed more and had more biopsies. The wait over xmas was tough (keeping a happy facade for family at christmas). Then 4th Jan got results. 

I've just had a mastectomy, node removal etc. Now waiting on histology results. The worst bit is the waiting for me. The actual getting on with stuff is manageable. Everyone is different. But I think for most the waiting is the hardest. This group has been my main source of support. Someone else mentioned local support groups. Contact your macmillan nurse ask if there is one. I found 1 lady who has been through the same and she came to see me in hospital just after I saw myself for 1st time after op and was very tearful. She was amazing, so pleased she was there, just then.

You are not alone. And you clearly are still grieving the loss of your mum who you were close to. Both massive emotional impact. Look after yourself and do things that make you smile. You are no1 for now. Big hugs xxx

• Hi  you are so right. The waiting is awful. I’ll find out what happens next on Thursday and then surgery should be in the next two weeks. Instead of packing bikinis I will be packing post surgery bras! It still doesn’t seem real!

But first it’s my 50th next week so I am going to celebrate the best way I can then the battle begins. 
    Sending you love and strength for your treatment and recovery xx

• I forgot to say the other similarity was we too had to cancel a once in a lifetime holiday we booked ages ago...1st time no kids at home. We were going to Las Vegas and LA in March. Not booking another holiday though...too many uncertainties. But when we do, it will be even better. Xxxx

• I hope you manage to enjoy your 50th...you deserve it xxxxx

• Absolutely! We will both have something to celebrate then xx

• Hi, I’m feeling completely overwhelmed too. I am also, grieving, not for my Mum, who died a few years ago, but for my son, who hanged himself four months ago. Christmas was awful, without my son, and waiting for surgery. I had my lumpectomy a couple of weeks ago and get the histology results on Thursday. I got a message from someone today, saying she was attached to my GP practice and was my cancer car coordinator and was available to help me through my cancer journey. This was scary as I haven’t had the results yet. I am feeling so sad. I wish you well and send hugs.