Confused if I’m going through chemo!!!

• 9 replies
  • 485 subscribers

Hi there, My first time in this forum I’m so confused ! I had surgery 13th November mastectomy and was told by surgeon that I ll have radio and tamoxifen as treatment . Yesterday I saw oncologist and was advised to have 2 weekly chemo for 4 cycles and another 2 weekly for 4 weeks of another drug, was told that it will lower the recurrence by 11% if I have this due to higher grade and the size of the tumour that’s been  removed . I have until Monday to decide if I’m going through , I’m still in shock and can get my head around it . I’m dreading the side effect of chemo . 
Any advise will be much appreciated . Thanks . 

• Hi Ruthy05

Sorry to hear you're now looking at chemo.  Same happened to me - never really mentioned until oncologist appt, completely took the wind out of my sails and I cried for days wondering how I'd get through it.  Entirely your decision, but for me I thought if it gave me a good chance of lowering my recurrence, then I had to go for it.  Chemo itself was alright - side effects very much went in cycles so I could plan good times.  Generally had a week of feeling off and tired and then picked up again although I found the tiredness did really kick in from cycle 4 - 5.  If you decide to do it, you'll get through it and be on the other side of it quicker than you think.  Absolutely horrible decision to have to make though, sometimes I wish they'd do all the decision making for us.  Best wishes for moving forward with it xx

• Hi Ruthy05

Sorry you have had to join our merry throng, it is a fab forum but one we all wish didn't have to exist!

I had similar "will I/won't I" have chemo debacle, I was told that until they get the tumour out and do tests on it, nothing is certain.  It proved correct as my tumour was both HER2 positive AND HER2 negative which means I ended having two sets of treatment - chemo, radiotherapy and hormone suppressor PLUS 12 months of targeted drugs.

As you say, it is bewildering when things keep changing and so much to take in and learn.  I would advise speaking to your breast care nurse or oncology team again to ask them to go through it with you again, get the names of the drugs so you can look them up (and the side effects) on the A-Z on this site, I found it really helpful to get a better understanding.

All the medical professionals I have spoken to have said that they prefer it when people ask questions and learn about the treatment programme, they like to know that you have an understanding of what is happening to your body and why.

Unfortunately the pace of the tests/treatment/decision-making is irregular (quick, slow, quick, quick, very slow, super fast) so it feels very distressing and overwhelming, what you are feeling is totally normal.

Ask the questions, do the reading, the better informed you are the more in control you feel.

Sending hugs

BexF

• Thank you so much for the information , yesterday was definitely not going through chemo , but today talking to people and weighing thing I’m 50/50 . 

• Hi Ruth, just bear in mind that just because there is a long list of side effects doesn’t mean you’ll get them. I had very little side effects and managed to carry on with normal life throughout chemo. I know losing hair is very emotional…but I figured I didn’t love my hair more than my life. all you can do is weigh the risks (I.e. side effects) against the benefits (i.e. improved survival chances). I know it’s daunting but you will get through it. Sending you lots of positive vibes xxx

• Hi Ruthy05,

This is exactly what happened to me! At first I was terrified and cried when my oncologist told me that chemotherapy will be beneficial and will lower the recurrence with 11% but then I decided to go for it. My treatment plan was 4 cycles of doxorubicin and 4 cycles of paclitaxel. I was lucky I guess (if the word lucky is appropriate!) since my side effects were mild. The worst was the fatigue and feeling weak, but the whole thing is very doable. Especially if you can stay positive! As you know people are different and what I'm saying is just my personal experience. The best advice I can give is follow your instincts and trust your medical team - they aim at curing and not just treating the disease. The very best of luck in whatever you decide to do! xx 

• Thanks so much this really helps.  

• Thank you , I’m having epirubicin and cyclophosphamide for 4 cycle and paclitaxel for another 4 cycles . Radio and tamoxifen after . Did you have this too ? 

• Yes, that's the same treatment plan. I'm halfway through my radiotherapy (15 sessions in total) which I find much easier compared to chemotherapy but like I said all is very doable.

• ask about cold gloves and socks for hands and feet for taxol