Hello from Anglesey, newbie here!

• 4 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Hi everyone, just had lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy, how do I remain patient for 3 weeks whilst waiting for results? Was shocked to hear after surgery that 1 in 5 lumpectomy patients don't get clear margins, am I going through all this again?

• Hi BexFelin

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that you had breast cancer.  What I found handy whenever I had to wait for results was to keep  busy doing the things that I love like reading and going for walks. I also found taking things one day at a time helped. Hopefully you won't have to have further surgery.

Wishing you the best of luck with your results.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Bex

I'm on Anglesey too, diagnosed last Friday with BC,from the mamogram and US, I get my biopsy results next Tuesday.

Do you know of any groups in our area?

Sue x

• Hi Bex,

I had a lumpectomy just over a month ago and two lymph nodes removed. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful, will tell you were your nearest centre is on Anglesey and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You ay also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as possible can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.

• Hi I would go with Daisy53.... do the things you love and keep busy, helps take your mind off things.  

Not quite as far as Anglesey, but I will be moving to Bala in the next couple of months.  Have been living in France for around the last 20 years and moved back to be nearer to family who are in the Midlands.  

After five months of chemo, first two months were quite savage, but at the end was told my lump had practically disappeared.  I have just had surgery last week to remove the dead tissue and surrounding area, plus lymph nodes, I am hoping that I wont have to go through it all again.  Usually an active person, I am verging on boredom now that my future house is practically in the bag, but missing travel - I would have been backpacking now somewhere maybe Italy, Spain or other..... it did help in MRI scans etc to have these trips religiously plotted as I went through the journey in my mind, and thats how I am treating the rest of it.  Its my 70th birthday this weekend, I hope to get out and about, but it will rely on others transporting me - never been dependent on others, will just have to put up with it for the time being.

Best of luck and keep busy, lots of hugs x