Benefits and Pip

• 2 replies
  • 316 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Newbie here and probably going over a discussion you've seen a million times.

So I had my lumpectomy end of July and got signed off for a month. I'd only been employed by my current employer for 6 months when diagnosed so I'm only entitled to 1 month full pay and 2 months half pay. Then I'll get SSP.

My month off post op used up my full pay and 1 week of half pay.

I'm starting chemo next week and my Dr has recommended I take off the 4 months of the cycles but I've got to factor in the radiotherapy after and recovery.

I live alone so any income is just via me.

Work haven't been particularly forthcoming but I've taken my remaining holiday days so I get at least 1 more month of full pay.

I've done various benefits calculators, some say I'm entitled to money some have also said none! 

I'm not sure I can apply for UC yet as I'm not down to half pay which will then change again when down to SSP, because I haven't started treatment yet and don't know how I'm going to feel how do you then apply for PIP?!

I was on UC the last 6 months of 2023 when I was out of work and looking for employment so I'm also worried that gaps in my Nat insurance will effect it.

Haven't been able to get through to the macmillan finance team yet but it's stressing me out. My sister keeps telling me not to worry but no one in my family has spare cash lying about. Any tips gratefully received!

I've also had Covid this week which I thought would delay treatment (luckily not) and my period has started (usually always pretty painful) which has made me think I'm not going to be allowed to take my favourite painkiller if they continue!

I can only hope 2025 will be a better year!

• Hi Toebeans

I am sorry to hear of your breast cancer and wish you well for your continuing treatment.

I would advise to call the Support Line and speak with one of the advisors who would be able to tell you more. I did via online chat and you can also contact via email. 

However I would recommend that you start the process of universal credit claim as soon as you can as they will back date it to the day you first claim- even if your income is due to change- you will be able to tell them via the online journal/phone. If you are not entitled yet, then no harm done, but if you are then it will save time later and mean that you will not be waiting longer for the first payment. The universal credit amounts will change in relation to what money you have coming in- whether from half pay or SSP. There is something called LCWRA which also can be awarded- I believe after an assessment after 3 months. This is something universal credit can confirm or the Macmillan advisors. 

I myself have PIP I had to call the PIP claim number (its online) and its a quick phone call to take basic details and then they will post out the paperwork. This can take a while to fill in and also some time to go through the system- so again i would advise starting the process so you are in the system. It is not means tested so your earnings will not affect it. 

With any benefits, if your circumstances change then you let them know but knowing how long I waited to receive the first payment of PIP- it is worth starting now. 

Do give the Support Line a call and they will be able to give you the up to date information and will be able to go through the calculator and give you an amount. They will also be able to give you details of anything else that may help. Once your finances are sorted then you can focus on your treatment and getting well again. I contacted them myself and was told via online chat, how and what I could claim and it really helped.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane,

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to try and have a chat with the macmillan team at my pre-assessment appointment on Monday. I'll make sure I've got all my payslips etc!