Follow up appointments

• 1 reply
  • 317 subscribers

How often do you have follow up appointments and with whom.

I had breast cancer two and half years ago. I see my breast surgeon every six months with scans. Next year I will only see him every year until the five years are up.

i also have been seeing a medical oncologist a couple of times because I was having an infusion for my bones. This is now being changed to an injection at my GP surgery. However, the medical oncologist still wants to see and I am not sure why.

I am very anxious to put the whole cancer experience behind me and soon as I can stop having medical appointments the better.

Am I being shortsighted or should I be grateful I am being so well looked after.

• Hi  

I was diagnosed in March 2022, so about the same time as you.

Since my treatment finished in January 2023, I've had annual mammograms (which will continue for 5 years before going back to 3 yearly), a follow-up with my breast surgeon about 18 months after my operation, which will be the only one, and a check-up with my oncologist as I'm having Zometa infusions. The oncologist wants to see me once a year, six months after my mammogram so that I'll effectively have 2 examinations of my breasts a year.

I know what you mean about putting the cancer experience behind you, but I feel that 2 hospital visits a year for Zometa infusions plus one visit for a mammogram and one to see the oncologist is not too much for my peace of mind.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"