Has anyone had Herceptin with Taxol

• 7 replies
  • 320 subscribers

Hi all

im currently doing EC first one was terrible horrendous nausea and headaches and then the fatigue - I also had such bad constipation (didn’t got the toilet for 3 days) and ended up having a vagina prolapse (that’s another story) I’m meeting my oncologist before 2nd EC so hoping dose can be changed? I was wondering what peoples experience was once finishing EC and going into Taxol weekly and Herceptin every 3 weeks - how did people cope with that? Thank you xx

• Hi Luna

While I don't have the experience you are looking for I noticed that you haven't had any replies yet so I thought I'd reply to you to move you to the top of the discussion.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly to give you the benefit of their experience.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi. 

I had four rounds of EC earlier this year, before moving on to Taxol + pertuzumab and trastuzumab (Herceptin). 

My first round of EC was awful - I was physically sick and had awful headaches. The nurses adjusted the anti-sickness drugs and the rest of my EC was much more bearable. Don't get me wrong, I was still terribly tired. It took me about a week to feel better, then I'd do a few days work, then I'd have the next round of EC. I also had mouth ulcers and constipation but I spoke to the breast cancer nurses and they were able to give me mouth wash (for the ulcers!) and Laxido to get my bowels moving.  

I've been getting Taxol once a week, and the Herceptin stuff once every three weeks. It's a breeze compared to the EC. I still feel a bit tired, but no where near as bad as when I was on the EC. A couple of weeks ago I even managed to go to see Taylor Swift at Wembley two days after having chemo! The Herceptin doesn't seem to have any side effects at all (to me, anyway). 

After I finished the EC, I had loads of scans and found the tumour had shrunk by half. So basically, it made me feel quite rubbish but it was worth it because it worked. 

Hope that's helpful. Good luck. 

X

• Thank you so much for replying that’s been so good to read your experience- just wondering what anti sickness meds you were given to combat that as I’ve also have mine changed but not sure if there’s something stronger? 
    xx 

• I was initially given Metoclopramide, which is what I think was causing the headaches. They moved me on to Aprepitant from the second round of EC - I certainly wasn't sick on that and I didn't get any more headaches either. 

Hope that helps!

• Hello sorry you are having a tough time. I had 4 lots of EC which I found hard but I’m 73 with several auto immune conditions which perhaps exacerbates the side effects. I did have a reduced dose for the 4 th EC. The fatigue and nausea was bad . I was due to have 12 Paclitaxol but had to stop after 4 due to grade 3 Peripheral Neuropathy. It was definitely easier than EC and my hair grew back during it too. I am still haveing 3 weekly Herceptin finish that March 25 ! I hope everything goes as well as possible for you and that horrible prolapse can be helped. I had/ have that too. Hate it. 

• Hello OlivaGA

I'm just about to start  9x Paclitaxol and I'm terrified of getting Peripheral Neuropathy.
    Did yours come on gradually from the 1st round or did it come all of a sudden? Who did you tell about the Neuropathy and did they take you seriously?

I've mentioned my concerns to my chemo nurse but she is quite dismissive and I get the impression that she thinks I'm a fusspot and a nuisance.

I hope the Neuropathy improves for you xx

• Mine started after my second EC. I told the nurse in the pre chemo clinic that I thought I had PN she said no you haven’t , you don’t get it with EC !! Saw a different nurse the next time who asked if I had pins and needles etc yep. She took it seriously . I Had a couple of chemo breaks to allow it to settle . This is often enough to resolve it for some people, sadly it didn’t for me., I  carried on with chemo until my PN reached a grade 3 when I was  advised to stop . To be honest it’s just bad luck. For me being aware of the symptoms and not being fobbed off gave me some control. PN is very common but it is usually mild, grade 1 - 2. Have a look at the info on this site and Breast Cancer Now. Chemo is blooming scary and it’s sad that we can’t express our fears at times. Fingers crossed for you that you have limited side effects . Thinking of you xx