Treatment finished crippling anxiety

• 6 replies
  • 318 subscribers

I finished treatment for stage 2 breast cancer about 3 months ago. I feel worse mentally than I did going through treatment. Daily crippling anxiety and sadness. Many tears. Is this normal? Have others had it. People make suggestions about what I should do. Go for a walk, treat yourself.....that just makes me feel worse

• Hi  , sorry you’re feeling such crippling sadness and anxiety after finishing your treatment. You’re not alone, many of us here have expressed conflicting feelings at the end of our ‘active’ treatment, by which I mean surgery, chemo, radiotherapy etc rather than the ongoing treatment like hormone therapy that some folk (including me) carry on with for many years, to help reduce the risk of recurrence. There’s a paper which I found mentioned here which I’ve found very useful over the years - I’ll try to post a link - nope no luck but you can Google After treatment finishes by Peter Harvey and it should come up. 
    I have definitely found anxiety a problem and I’ve attributed it at least partly to the Anastrozole (hormone therapy) which I’m on as I had hormone sensitive cancer. Are you on hormone therapy at all? I’m sure it’s a possible side effect. I also think that the psychological effects of a cancer diagnosis are long lasting, certainly for myself and I’m sure many others here. I tried to access counselling when I was struggling with work (took ill health retirement in the end but was lucky that I could, even if it wasn’t ideal), but couldn’t seem to qualify for any at that time. I did get on to an online mindfulness group through my nearest Maggie s centre which I found really helpful. 
    There’s also the option of phoning the number here to speak to someone, I think it’s always good to talk. 
    Sending love and a big virtual hug, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Hi Sourdough,

Im sorry to learn you are going through this, but I ca assure you this is not unusual and you are certainly not alone.

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and have been told I am clear which is great. However, when I told people I was clear they were very kind, but it was like oh you’re okay now and all’s well with the world when it’s not. Trust me you have your off days and that’s okay, but you have been through a lot and so has your body, but you have to push through it. Cancer is  a horrible disease, but don’t let it define you, have a good cry if you want to, but then you have to pick yourself up and say ‘feck it, I’m not letting all this get the better of me’. 

Please do read the paper that Happyfeet1 mentioned, Dr Peter Harvey is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist and really hit the nail on the head with this paper about after cancer treatment. It’s easy and straightforward to read and not full of medical jargon. Also please keep in touch with your Breast Cancer Nurse who will help you, mine ring me regularly and it may help to ring Macmillan (0808 808 0000) and visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on this site. They are open Mon-Fri, 10-4, for coffee, chat, help with bills, benefits and lots more, it’s all in complete confidence.

Oh and of course, there is always us shower on here, we’re not a bad lot so come and have a rant at anytime.

Take care and huge hugs.xxx

• Hi Sourdough , I’m sorry you are feeling so sad and anxious,  I felt exactly the same after finishing treatment, tearful, anxious and no motivation to do things . The paper by Dr Peter Harvey definitely helped a lot as it acknowledges and validates that what you’re feeling is not unusual, I’m also having therapy which has helped enormously. As you say friends and family make suggestions and think you are fine now the treatment is done , this really doesn’t help . It might help  to explain to the people closest to you how you’re feeling , that you’re not fine . I thought I’d never feel myself again but I’m getting there , and you will too even though it doesn’t feel like it right now . 
    take care x