Mastectomy recovery

• 9 replies
  • 318 subscribers

Hi all,

Really hope you are all keeping well and positive.

I had my surgery Monday and feel I'm doing OK Blush I had a right side Mastectomy with reconstruction. 

I have my pain under control although the drains are a struggle. Keep forgetting I have them Rolling eyes but getting there.

My question is when did you start going out?  I know its early days and I shouldn't do too much but I feel I could do a bit more? Am I in denial? Or am ok to walk up the road? 

Didn't have any instructions of does or don't when I was released from hospital so no sure what's OK. 

What are you experiences please to help me?

Many thanks Sarah xx

• Hi, I'm glad you are managing the pain & the pesky drains, they are a drag 

I would say a gentle short walk should be OK, just don't over for it. Perhaps give your breast cancer nurse a call to double check if unsure 

Best wishes x

• Hi

Wishing you all the best with everything.

I had a mastectomy on the right side only last December. I asked them to take both and they refused. They blamed it on the fact that I’m difficult to anaesthetise.

They wanted me to just go flat but I insisted on a tissue expander for future reconstruction if I still want it.

I have OCD and can’t stand anything not matching. So one boob and the tattoo for that isn’t quite in the centre upset me.

I didn’t get a drain until later with lymph node clearance, but I did have a buzzing thing (to help healing) that I wanted to take a hammer to.

The hospital said I was fine to get out and about. I wasn’t allowed to run, so I power walked. The restrictions they advised were no repetitive movements and no lift anything above 1 lb. Or stretching my right arm above shoulder level for the first 6 weeks. Maybe you should check with your breast care nurse to put your mind at rest too.

Obviously I didn’t go far walking as I was exhausted and my husband came with me, although I didn’t need him to.

I’m a bit of a rebel so I pushed all instructions to the limit, but making my decisions about how I should go about my daily life made me feel like  I was taking control back.

Wait til you get some fresh air, it will make such a difference Sunny

Sending healing vibes and hugs. xxx

• Hi Sarah2  good to hear that you are feeling OK after your surgery. I am due to have  mastectomy and reconstruction at the beginning of October and am quite apprehensive. More worried about the long recovery period than the surgery. I was told I would be in hospital 5-7 days and drains would probably be removed before leaving hospital. Lots of people mention they come home with drains, so not sure what will happen. How long did you stay in hospital? I wish you a speedy recovery. Xx

• Brill thank you x

• Hi hun,

So sorry you're having to go through this too. Being apprehensive is normal and it's a huge thing to get your head around. I was just wanting to get the cancer out and gain control again. 

I had my op Monday afternoon which took just over 4 hours. Pain was ok and even now only taking paracetamol and antibiotics so I was surprised at that. The bruising is coming out now so it may get worse before better so I'm taking things as it comes. Actually had more pain in my hand from cannula. 

I came out of hospital Wednesday afternoon after seeing consultant so wasn't in too long. 1st night home was bit rough (make sure you eat when taking meds as made me sick) found it difficult to get comfy and as I'm not used to sleeping up slightly or on my back (side sleeper) my bum has got a bit sore. Last night was better though. 

I have come home with my drains. I have 2 and they gave me a little bag to put them in. Stick them around your neck when moving as I keep walking away from them and pulling on them like an idiot Rolling eyes which hurt a little lol. I have to go back next Wednesday to have 1 drain out and week after for next one. Tbh, I think things will be much more comfy once out as they are a right pain.

I wish you all the best. You got this girl and it will be ok. Feel free to ask me anything if needed though xx

• Bless you and thanks for responding.  I asked for both to be removed also but they said no. I don't have twins anymore and tbh I'm not sure my boobs are even related anymore lol but if I'm cancer free that's all that matters to me. Going flat was my next option with a big ass tattoo later but I can understand your OCD struggle though.  That must be hard to cope with. But I'd you have got through this then you will cope with that too. 

I'm a bit of a impatient rebel too lol and want to be able to do everything normal and more like yesterday so I'm trying so hard to give my body time to heal. 

I think I will call the nurse and get instructions then at least I'm being good for once lol.

Hope you continue to recover well and look after yourself xx

• Thank you.

look after yourself too. Looking back the things I was most worried about didn’t faze me in the end.

By the way, I have found a surgeon in the same team as mine that will do the reconstruction of the tissue expander side and remove the breast tissue from the other side at the same time. I will only have to pay for a nipple tattoo and a big dragon to cover the wonky dotGrin

it amazes me that calcification in the breast with the cancer was such a big deal and why they wouldn’t do a lumpectomy, but the calcification on the left side is nothing (without any tests)..

See, nothing is written in stone. I have come to the conclusion that cost plays a big part in treatment plans

Stay strong and demand the care you deserve. Wishing you all the best x

• That's great news and hope you get what you want done to best that they can do Blush

You take care Slight smile x

• Hi Sarah, thanks for for reply, it is good to hear how someone else's is coping with the after effects of the surgery. Knowing what to expect really does help. I am a little worried that surgery isn't until October, as I finished chemo in July. As I'm having reconstruction, the plastic surgeon and breast surgeon have to be available. They have assured me it's fine, as I'm on phesgo injections every 3 weeks, due to being HER2 positive. We are going away for a couple of weeks on holiday, so that will be a bit of a distraction. Hope your recovery goes well, I'm sure I will have a few more questions moving forward. Xx