Just been diagnosed with Her2 positive breast cancer

• 28 replies
  • 323 subscribers

This still doesn't feel real I am writing in here. I was diagnosed with Her2 positive breast cancer Wednesday. This came as a huge shock as before biopsy results came back consultant said it was only small and if cancer I would just need a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. However when results did come back I was in total shock as they told me I would need chemo first then surgery. I have my heart scan this wed and an appointment to see oncologist week after. With  this being a a grade 3 it's an invasive cancer and I'm so scared of it spreading before my treatment. The thought of chemo and loosing my hair scares me too and has made me realise how unpredictable cancer can be. The thought of telling my son and daughter kills me and I don't think il ever be ready to tell them. Everyday I'm waking up like Im living in a nightmare and can't accept and come to terms with what's happening I'm so scared right now. 

• Hi Mum45

I am so sorry but believe what your feeling is so normal I have got diagnosed on May the 22 with HER2 breast cancer had my surgery lumpectomy 10th June and am due to start chemo on Weds which I am so scared of but we got this girl Muscle The team have been so good and I’m sure they know what’s best for you to. This group is so good to be in. 

• Hi Mum45,

I’m so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I finished my radiotherapy last week. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. I know mine is slightly different from yours, but the strides in modern cancer medicine are huge and there is so much that can be done for you and a lot you can do for yourself.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful (open Mon-Fri 10-4, drop in anytime for coffee and chat) and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I know it will be hard telling your daughter, not sure how old she is, but I think she would be more upset if you don’t and she found out through someone else. This is were Macmillan come in, when you visit the centre, perhaps take her with you as they can chat to her too, in confidence.

I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team, talk to to your breast cancer nurse, mine ring regularly and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• How are you after the surgery ? I really hope the chemo goes OK for you Wednesday let me know how you get on. New to this group and good to chat with people that understand. 

• Hi   my story after diagnosis of BC THEN HER2 result positive     is on my profile just click 9n my name .

Please take a breath and try not to let your thoughts runaway with themselves . I know it’s hard but the only way for me was one day at a time .The waiting in between appointments and treatment is usually the worst .Then you start treatment and realise that most of the time your imagination and Dr Google have been making it worse in our heads .

We all feel same when first diagnosed it’s such a shock isn’t it . I found it better for me to talk about it but some people don’t .it is about how you feel best able to cope . 
    You can call macmillan to chat with one of their people if you want they understand how you feel and could help reassure you .

Have a read of of some profiles and you will see some really positive stories 

if you do read my story you’ll see I had surgery first then chemo followed by her2 treatment and have now reached 5yr cancer free all I can say is it’s not easy but it is doable honestly .

please feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try to answer 

best wishes

One step at a time and ...Breathe !
    xoxox
    Margaret
  • Thank you messages of support like this do really help.  I live as a single parent with my son 23 and my daughter 16. I have family/ friends to pick me up during the day with  messages which helps and been for a walk  in the country today with family and my dog but still can feel it eating away at me in my mind.  The mornings and nights are the worst when I'm on my own  but been advised to take one day at a time. Easier said then done but really  trying to. How are you doing after your radiotherapy?

• Just read your story wow. It's the not knowing what I'm going into whats scaring me but really do need to take it one step at a time. Which was the hardest part for you? 

• Hi Mum 45

I had HER2 negative result from biopsy when diagnosed. This meant I had surgery in May and was due to have radiotherapy. However final histology revealed i am in fact HER 2 positive so now got to have chemotherapy which starts tomorrow. It was a shock since I recovered well from surgery and feel so well. But I have come to terms with it and now just want to get it started. It’s another bump in the road, which so many have to face. Take each day at a time . Sending hugs xx

• Morning  

Sorry you find yourself here but it is the best place to be to chat and ask questions .

yes the not knowing and waiting is the worst part so your feelings are all normal . 
    To be honest at beginning I was that busy seeing consultant most days for a week until decision for Masectomy was agreed then surgery done I was more angry than anything else ! 
    At my age I just wanted rid of cancer so didn’t feel upset at loss of boob just glad to get rid of the cancer .Post surgery was easier than expected just follow instructions with exercises etc most importantly listen to body and rest when needed.

Chemo is not easy but doable remember we are all different so react differently .

There are lots of hints and tips on here to help comfort wise I kept a diary so I could see what Side effects I had within the 21 day cycles so I could plan me time on good days 

I decided to take control by having bob length hair cut in pixie style before starting chemo .decided no cool cap ….kept hair longer than expected then I decided shave needed . 
    Had a lovely wig in pixie style but only wore it twice I think used hats when needed as was winter .

After chemo other treatments were not an issue just a social life during Covid lockdown . Visiting hospital every three weeks .

So there is no real answer to your question about scary parts cos they all blend together

First chemo when you don’t know how your body will react just remember it would be very greedy to get all side effects you are given the list of POSSIBLE  effects .

Also every infusion is so worth it to kick cancer in butt! 

Personally I thought I wasn’t bothered bout hair loss til first few strands came out then had a short cry .

hope all this waffle helps 

take care 

One step at a time and ...Breathe !
    xoxox
    Margaret
  • Hi,
    I am so sorry to hear your story. I was diagnosed with HER2 positive breast cancer in December last year. After 6 rounds or Chemo and a mastectomy I am now cancer free but will be having more treatment (phesgo) incase of any hidden cells. 
    I was stage 2, my lump felt huge and I was told it was growing at a 70% growth rate so I was also very scared. I was also scared about loosing my hair, honestly it was a very hard time for me and I didn't know how to prepare for it. I would highly recommend just clippering it off before it starts to fall. It's kinda liberating and I wish I would have done that sooner to stop it falling.
    I hope you can find the strength to tell you're kids.
    There's a lovely community on here which I hope helps. 

• Hi Mum45

i felt great after surgery no problem a bit sore but felt back to me after the first few days it was the thought of chemo that sent my head all over but it’s tomorrow so fingers crossed I nail it. YHeartu will be fine with a lumpectomy in and out good luck and keep me updated with your journey Heart️