Scan at the end of treatment?

• 15 replies
  • 321 subscribers

My wife's chemo is coming to an end after this last cycle on the tablet, we fully expected her to have a scan at the end to show the difference between her scan after surgery and at the end of treatment but this appears to not be the case. We had an appointment with our oncologist this week and it seems she will just be discharged after this cycle, has this been others experience? I guess we’re looking for some kind of closure to things that we aren’t going to get.

• Hi Rob, brilliant news that your wife is nearing the end of treatment. I’m in Buckinghamshire and I also was surprised not to be given a scan at the end of treatment. I had chemo first and then a scan, then surgery and they said there was no need to rescan at the end and that each scan increases a risk of cancer Shrug tone1‍ sometimes things can vary between healthcare trusts but that’s been my experience too. All the best x

• Hi ShropshireRob,

I had surgery for breast cancer and also lymph nodes removed nearly four months ago. After my last radiotherapy appointment, I spoke to a Doctor and was told I was clear and that was the end of my treatment. Please don’t misunderstand me, all the Doctors and staff were amazing and I will be forever grateful, but I understand what you mean, you feel like a support system has been taken away somehow.

I recently read a paper by Dr Peter Harvey (easily found on Google) a Consultant Clinical Psychologist at Leeds University Hospital, called ‘After The Treatment Finishes - Then What’ and I have to say, he hit every nail on the head and lot of things were made clearer to me. The good thing about it, is that it’s simple to read and understand, not full of medical jargon and to the point - I think you and your wife will find it very helpful,

Although my treatment is over, I still get follow up calls from my oncologist and breast cancer nurse, which help me to vent any worries I may have. Please make sure your wife keeps in touch with them, it’s important. I also do a daily diary which is mega helpful and may also help your wife, it just lets you get things off your chest and out of your system.

if you haven’t already, please ring Macmillan, 0808 808 0000, they are amazing and also find your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, they are super supportive and do lots of things like walks, talks, benefit help, bills, coffee and chat  10-4 Monday to Friday.

I send my very best wishes to you and your wife and wish her a very speedy recovery.xx

• It’s helpful to know it’s not just us, she had chemo via iv, surgery then chemo in tablet form. After going through this for 18 months and still having various symptoms which yes might all be down to chemo but it does feel very much like you’re just sent on your way to carry on with life. We should feel a greater sense of relief than we do that treatment is over but it’s a very melancholy feeling we’re left with. 

• It does feel very much like treatment is over and you’re sent on your way to live your life. We’ve not had an ‘all clear’ as such, there was a partial response to chemo, she then had surgery, radio and more chemo but via tablet. All we wanted after 18 months was a scan to show us what things looked like now but were told it’s “not routine”. He will have a phone call with her in 6 weeks then 6 months to see how recovery is progressing with all of her side effects.

i have advised her to contact MacMillan for support and also to contact the breast cancer nurse for some after care. She did see a psychologist there at one stage so that might be worth doing again. I will take a look at the article you have mentioned hopefully it will be of some help to her and myself. 

Thanks

Rob

• Hi shropshire Bob 

I had treatment in Shropshire for TNBC and thought I would have a scan either before or after treatment but told no !! Only if in the lymph nodes it’s not routine . 

• Is there somewhere that it states you should get a scan if in the lymph nodes? They took some of hers away in surgery but could not get it all which is why she then had radio and more chemo. This is part of the reason why we thought there would be a scan after. It seems crazy they can just send her away to just get on with it.

• I had it in my lymph nodes and had all removed, but still wasn’t scanned. The end of chemo/treatment is a weird time and I also struggled emotionally. I have put it down to, for me, while you’re on treatment it’s a treadmill of appointments and treatments and not actually much brain space. Then you get towards the end/the end and suddenly your brain catches up with exactly what you’ve been through and you start to process what has happened and it’s hard, really hard. When you have regular appointments and you’re in the system, as rubbish as it is, you’re supported, then suddenly it bye bye! My local hospice has helped with that, I didn’t realise how much they do for people who aren’t terminally ill too. I’ve had scar therapy there and have been offered counselling, massage, moving on after cancer courses and much more. I did t want to engage with them, felt it wasn’t for me and I had a good support network, but it was worth doing. All the best to you both x

• I know it’s so scary but when I asked they told me no !! I have thought about having a scan at the Nuffield . They did scan my liver because I had pain and my lungs because I was breathless after chemo which was good and all ok . 

• You’re more than welcome Rob, chat here anytime.xx

• Hi, and in case you have’s found these resources yet, they might be useful for you. Best wishes 

After Treatment Info link

Community Champion badge