How to adjust after breast cancer!

• 9 replies
  • 318 subscribers

Hi, After 2yrs of intense breast cancer chemo, masectomy & radiotherapy, now bone cancer treatment for next 3yrs, finding it difficult to adjust to a normal life. Is anyone that can relate to this?

• Hi SuTed21welcome to the forum and yes many of us feel exactly like you do so please be assured that you are not alone.  Define normal life????  I don't think we ever truly go back to how or who we were before Cancer, it changes us in many many ways.  There is a paper written by a psychologist describing exactly what you are asking and explaining what happens after treatment finishes. Its written by Dr Peter Harvey and entitled "After the treatment finishes": then what?  

https://workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

Have  a read and see what you think? 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Granny59. I'm 72! & live on my own. Was fit & walking with my dog before cancer hit me. Friends/sister think I should be up & running after chemo treatment. Still going through more cancer treatment, leaves me exhausted. Adopted a lovely dog but having difficulty getting out of house as feel tired most days. Will get out when I'm ready. Think that's what I meant being normal as friends/sister make me feel I'm abnormal! They haven't been through any cancer treatment. Which I'm glad but no idea what I've been through. 

• Sending huge big understanding hugs your way . Hugging xx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you granny59. Feel so much better now that someone understands how I feel & I'm not alone. 'or abnormal' xx

• Hi SuTed21 , I’m so sorry you’re having to go through so much treatment. I really recommend reading the article by Peter Harvey, it helped me understand my feelings and made me realize what I was feeling was normal . 
    I think people who haven’t been through cancer really can’t understand what it’s like and often think once treatment is done that’s it ! Far from it , I finished radiotherapy a month ago and only now feel I’m processing what has happened, I’m seeing a psychologist which has helped a lot . 

Take care of yourself, self care is so important.  

sending a big hug x

• Hi Ulan, thank you for your kind words. Sorry to hear you have gone through so much too. It does take time physically & emotionally to recover from treatment & radiotherapy but pleased the psychologist is helping you get through.

I've started to read Peter Harvey's article & already can connect with it.

All the very best for your recovery.

Take care & a big hug to you too. x

• Hi GRANNY59

Thank you for your support & the link to Peter Harvey's article. 

I've started to read it & can connect with it! It will definitely help me.

Sending big hugs to you & thanks again.

Take care. xx

• Adjusting to life after breast cancer, especially with ongoing bone cancer treatment, is challenging and requires patience. Focus on small steps to regain a sense of normalcy, like setting daily routines, finding support through therapy or support groups, and engaging in activities that bring you joy or relaxation. Connecting with others who have gone through similar experiences can also provide comfort and understanding. It's important to be kind to yourself and recognize that it's okay to seek help when needed.

• Thank you for posting SuTed21 as I feel the same, friends think that because I have finished chemo had a mastectomy and now on preventative treatment that I should be back to normal - which I am far from. I too live alone and at 75 am feeling tired vulnerable have lost my confidence and my anxiety is through the roof.  
    it is good to know. That others feel the same.

wishing you well X