Reconstruction under local anaesthetic

• 6 replies
  • 319 subscribers

Does anyone know where I can get an implant reconstruction done after mastectomy under local anaesthetic? The reason I am asking this is that I have a phobia to general anaesthesia and my local hospital say I can only have it done under General. The whole situation is causing me intense anxiety because I can’t cope with being left with just one breast and a mastectomy scar forever. I’d even look into going private although I can’t really afford it. Any help or advice will be gratefully received 

Forrest

• Hi, I must admit I haven't come across this myself, but I noticed you haven't had any responses yet as the site is quite busy. My response will bump you back up to the top and I hope someone with the right experience will be along soon.  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Hi Forrest, 

I am sorry you are going through this. It is difficult to provide such an expert opinion and don't want to mislead you. The only thing I can think of is to ask your local consultant to refer you for a second opinion, maybe to the tertiary hospital in your area. 

I hope this is resolved as soon and as best as possible for you. 

Best wishes, 

Christina 

• Hi, I was absolutely terrified of a GA. I understand how you may be feeling. But, I had no choice I had to put my trust in the staff. 
    it’s strange.. when the morning came I was prepared mentally and had no issues at all. It wasn’t a negative experience at all and I got through it far more easily than I imagined I would. Hope this helps 

• Hi, 

Thanks for your replies. I have since discovered after asking many people in the medical profession that reconstruction can only be done under general anaesthetic so I guess I will have to get over my fears about this if I want to go ahead with it which I do. I’m told I won’t be able to go ahead with this for at least 6 months. For me having a one sided mastectomy has been a very difficult experience. Until the surgery I was coping very well, then all the issues came to a head at once, ie the masectomy, the onset of menopause brought on by chemo, the fear of death, due to cancer being a serious disease. Ultimately I practically had a breakdown and had to resort to the mental health team and medication to get me through it. I am still recovering but am a lot better now than I was. I don’t think the mental health aspect of this awful disease is discussed enough. To me having a breast removed is having an amputation, but unlike having a limb removed it it hidden. But it can be just as psychologically devastating. I think the medical profession do not take this into account enough. I am grateful the mastectomy got rid of the cancer, but I was totally unprepared for how it would make me feel afterwards. Anyhow at least I’m getting there slowely.

Thank you to all who replied and good luck with your journeys

• You’re right, a mastectomy is indeed an amputation and is an aspect of my treatment I’m not that happy with. I had an implant but the pesky beast decided to dive behind that to grow again. So now I’m flat and needing treatment. I’m not sure if anyone would do a recon for me again. 

however, I’ve not got your fear about anaesthetics. I hope that’s something you’ll overcome with help, if you want to pursue a recon.

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Moomy,

Thanks for your reply. I’m so sorry that your cancer came back again and under the implant, that must have been so awful for you. I hope you can get a recon if they will do it and you want it. I think medication and support from professionals and a new partner is slowly helping me come to terms with it. I hope I can get a recon in the future. If not some of the tattoos I have seen look good. 

hugs back XXX

Forrest