Breast cancer mastectomy - no reconstruction, cost of having to purchase prosthesis is so high

• 2 replies
  • 320 subscribers

I am waiting for a mastectomy and have been told I cannot have reconstruction at this point, so I asked my breast care nurse about prothesis, she said I will get given a softie for leaving hospital and then in 6 weeks will be visited by companies in mafgies where I can purchase a proper one. She said I cannot get any on the NHS and they all have to be paid for by me. When I looked at the companies that come to visit, they are £200+. How unfair is this, it is not as if we chose to have cancer and now we have to pay. Does anyone have any experience of this. I live in Wales and part of swansea Bay health board. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Hi,

You are right, it is unfair. Although in England we are entitled to a prothesis on the NHS I am due to be fitted with one shortly. My mastectomy was last November and I have got by with the softie up until now, it is very comfortable if that’s any help.

• Hi, I am sorry to hear this, it seems unfair this is not available to you.  You might want to see if there is any help or advice from this information from Macmillan (Financial Advice) or you can give them a call on 0800 808 0000 as they might have come across this before and have some ideas. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge