Post treatment reconstruction pros & cons

• 2 replies
  • 317 subscribers

I am 6 years post diagnosis and treatment and my surgeon has opened up the idea of reconstruction. I had a mastectomy with an implant at the beginning but the implant was removed after issues with infection and subsequent chemo delays. 

My first thoughts are to avoid an implant, but some sort of recon on the left and breast reduction on the right sounds appealing. 

All thoughts, experiences or advice much appreciated!

• Hi  

I can't help with your questions, as I had a lumpectomy, but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi   I had mx with implant reconstruction in August 2021. I was never really happy with it, even less so when it started to contract and was causing issues with my shoulder. Almost as if the scar tissue was pulling  my shoulder inwards.

I’m now 9 weeks post a delayed TUG reconstruction - where my implant was removed and skin from my inner thigh was used to create a breast shape. Even at this relatively early stage, I’m absolutely delighted with it. It looks good but it feels even better. And my shoulder is back to normal!!

Happy to provide more info if you’d like x