Lost

• 2 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Hi,

I had a bilateral mastectomy with auxiliary lymph node removal 10 weeks ago.  Everything went really well.  I was healing well, I chose to stay flat.

5 weeks ago I noticed swelling and went for an aspiration.  That solved the problem one side but not the other.  After 5 weeks of antibiotics 5 more aspirations,  2 suggestions of further surgery (which were dismissed by my surgeon) I am now at a loss as to what is going to happen.  

I have been left with a dark red very misshapen swelling that is nearly the size of my breast before surgery.  I feel mutilated and extremely worried.  It doesn't feel right could there be something they have missed? 

I am very self conscious about this and have stopped going out.  Being flat was fine with me.  My battle scars but with this swelling now I feel as if everyone is looking at me 

• Hi Candi, 

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having after your surgery and that it's affecting your self confidence. Has your doctor said what the swelling is likely to be - i.e. do they expect it's an infection or lymphatic fluid build up? 

Have you been wearing any kind of compression on your chest since your operation? I had a bilateral mastectomy just over a year ago and chose to stay flat and I developed a seroma on one side of my chest which I called my mini boob. It was really squishy and would move around like a water bed - I could push the fluid up to the top of my chest and then when I let go, it would fall back down into its pocket. My physio prescribed me to wear a bandage wrap to add compression to my chest so that the fluid would stop collecting in the same place and be reabsorbed into my body naturally. After around 4-6 weeks of the compression bandage and regular massage, it completely disappeared. Is this similar to what you might have or do you think it's something different?

I hope you manage to get to the bottom of things sooner rather than later and sending a big hug your way x

• Hi  , so sorry you’re struggling. Did the aspirations help in any way to reduce this? I wonder if aspirating it has also added to the risk of a possible infection which my BCN mentioned as a risk when she did mine? It does sound as if it’s a deep seated collection of a bloody fluid by your description. 

I really hope it can be helped, and soon, as it’s obviously bothering you. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy