Double mastectomy and implant reconstruction

• 4 replies
  • 311 subscribers

Hi, 

I’ve been told I need a double mastectomy and have been offered immediate reconstruction. I think I’ve decided on implants. I wondered if anyone has had this done and would mind giving me their experience? Feeling very nervous as my initial thoughts were I didn’t want implants but I think it’s probably the best option for me as I’m very slim and don’t have enough tissue in my stomach areas. We discuss LD flap but now I know I need a double mastectomy, I’m really not keen on it. Just feel so nervous about making a decision. 

Thanks.x

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis and the tough decisions that you have to make. I noticed that your post has not yet had any replies from the breast group. I hope you won't mind me replying to you as I have had a different type of cancer. By responding it will place your post back at the top where it may be seen by more members. The group I've linked below may be useful for you.

Cancer surgery forum 

It may also be worth using the search button at the top of the page . I've linked mastectomy information below, if you need it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/removing-the-breast-mastectomy

I hope the information is useful and that you get lots more replies. Best wishes for your surgery.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hi Armaghgirl25,

I'm really sorry I didn't respond to your message to me. And sorry you're also going through this journey.

We've been going through a very similar experience. I've been so caught up with life and appointments that I've not been getting involved in this amazing community of support. I ended up with 2 x stage 1 areas on my right, plus cancer cells (non invasive) in the 5cm area of concern in my left. Treatment plan is double mastectomy with implant reconstruction. I found it quite stressful deciding between the 2 reconstruction options. 

When are you booked in for? I'm having my surgery on Thursday (9th May). x

• I need to buy post op bra's (I've been directed here for them, been advised to get the front hook option as the zip option is a tiny fiddly zip: https://shop.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-care/mastectomy) I also need to find pj's, comfy soft clothes including front fastening tops as I (we) won't be able to lift my arms for getting dressed for a while after. 

I'm going to look round this community for any resources for this stuff but if you know of any please do let me know x

• Hi London_potter, 

Please don’t apologise. I really hope your surgery goes well and you’re feeling ok about it. I’ve made my mind up now that implants is definitely what I’m going for an feel a bit easier now I’ve spoken to my consultant and fired a million questions at her. My surgery is booked for 20th May. In starting to feel quite nervous but staying positive that hopefully it’ll go to plan. Not sure yet what my treatment plan is but they are hoping Tamoxifen if they find no invasive cancer. I got some bras from Asda (someone recommended I try here) and have bought button really nice button top pyjamas from Sainsbury's. They also have some post surgery bras with front fastenings. I bought some button up linen shirts from Next and ASOS.

Wishing you  all the best of luck for the 9th. I’ll be thinking about you.xx