Newbie here and scared

• 13 replies
  • 313 subscribers

Hi guys, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.  My names Sarah and I have recently been diagnosed with DSIC B3. Last week I found out I may need a right side mastectomy due to scattered calcification and to be on safe side. To say taking it in is hard and one minute I'm up the next a complete mess. 

The beginning of last week was just a normal week but now I'm researching what I should do next. Reconstruction? Implant? Flat  I'm so confused and feel so alone even though my family have been amazing. The waiting is just too much to cope with. I find it hard to breathe and keep control.  

I joined this group just to chat with others that understand and could maybe share what they did and how they felt?? Please... is anyone there?? X

• Hi Sarah my mastectomy went well. The plastic surgeon and breast surgeon advised this was my best option.I had a tram flap reconstruction. So I basically look like I’ve had a tummy tuck as well. They took a section of my stomach including some muscle. My belly button has a new home and I also had my nipple removed and some lymph nodes. So I have 3 scars, one hip to hip, one round my belly button and one round where my nipple once was. The operation took roughly 8 hours. I had one drain while I was in hospital which was removed after 6 days. This held me up going home. I was bruised and swollen for a while but not in too much pain. The physio had me up and about the second day. Some people get up the day after but I was nauseous and faint. I felt a lot better once I was home. 
    The whole recovery takes time and I was told I had been overdoing it, the nurse could tell at the dressing clinic. My breast is still not fully soft but it’s getting there. 
    The radiotherapy is very manageable, the sessions are short probably only 5-10 minutes. They have told me in the long run it might change the shape of my breast but I was willing to take the risk. I applied the creams given and all looks ok so far. 
    I think what influenced me was the reconstruction was made using a part of me. If that makes sense?

Sorry this is a bit of a novel!! 
    Jen. 

• Hi Jen thank you so much for sharing.  Yes this is the same that I'm looking at having if it's possible for me to do so. I also prefer the thought of it being part of me still. I may have a nipple added later and a permanent tattoo done once healed if I feel it necessary.  I'm glad all went well for you and makes total sense Blush thank you so much xx

• No problem anymore questions don’t hesitate to ask. I’ve got a friend who’s had her nipple sorted but I’m not sure about that at the moment.

Jen.