Work between Lumpectomy and radiotherapy?

• 10 replies
  • 310 subscribers

Hi, I had my lumpectomy and lymph nodes removal yesterday and have been signed of work for a period of up to three weeks. I teach primary and have a complex class this year. While I’m keen to get back to work I am also anxious about this as I’m expecting I’ll need time off during and after the radiotherapy. Please could I ask what your experience has been; I understand we are all unique in our journeys but I’m still trying to process the last month from diagnosis to now. Thanks in advance. 

• Hi  , as you’ve said, we are all unique in our experiences so now is the time to feel able to do what feels best for you. In my case, I had thought I’d be back at work a couple of weeks after my surgery and was initially signed off by the hospital for 2 weeks. But I realised after the op that I wouldn’t be ready at all! I was a special needs teacher and my job involved a lot of moving and handling. My lovely students were often unpredictable and the job, although I loved it, was physically and mentally very demanding. My GP signed me off for a further month, and in the end I remained signed off till 4 weeks after my radiotherapy finished. In total, 4 months from the date of my op. I’d never have believed that I’d need that long off, but I did. My school were very supportive and actually it was easier for them to plan cover with longer sick notes. I know I was lucky though, as there was no pressure on me to return. I did feel very guilty but I really couldn’t have faced going back any sooner. 
    So, please think about what is best for you. Some people do go back to work very quickly but I think they’re mainly in jobs where there’s an option to work from home. Teaching is very ‘full on’ and there’s no chance of ‘taking it easy’ if you feel exhausted or overwhelmed once there. It’s definitely an individual situation but it’s a time to try to put yourself first, not easy I know! 
    Sending love and a big virtual hug, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Hi HappyFeet1

Thank so much for finding the time to reply. Perhaps I’m being too optimistic about returning to work?! I have a most challenging cohort this year, including SEND and behavioural issues. I will consider how I am feeling when the time comes, but as you’ve said the role is so demanding these days emotionally and physically. It’s difficult to know how I’ll feel post radiotherapy if that’s the treatment recommended when I get my results. Also, thank you for mentioning about releasing my sadness and anxiety-  it’s hard when you’re looking out for everyone else including not only family but work connections too as I’m sure you understand. Thanks again for the chance to talk about things and all the best with your journey too . X

• Hello Hope62

Ive been through the same has you. I was diagnosed last in July been through radiotherapy. I work with SEN children. I waited till this March to go back to work. Work HR have been great over the phone. Butt I didn’t tell my doctor I was going back but HR told not worry you will be fine and we will put a plan in place.

I am sorry to say the worst time going back. They didn’t do a risk assessment, I was put straight back with my sen child . I had to open heavy fire doors and heavy gates to get in and out.

The lady who I had support for a while only in class they took her away. Has my senior told her that I can cope.I had a occupational therapy appointment that day and I had a mental break down and was told that I am unfit for work.

please make sure that a risk assessment gets done before you return.

I am still off work and I won’t return till Ian 100% sure off my body and mental health.

Hope I’ve helped a little but just thinking off you 

Mustard

please keep in touch for any advice

Why does it feel as though you want to go out and then you don’t  ?

You go out, you just want to come back.

Why does cancer make you feel like this ?

• I returned to work 3 weeks after my 1st surgery and 2 months after my second one -because they put me on long term leave and there was Xmas in the mix. Could have returned at 3 weeks the second time. Didn’t have any issues. Work in a restaurant so lots of running about and some lifting. Apart from not being able to stretch to the higher shelves all ok. Worked through radio, but it was tiring.

Just to say, people are different. A friend took almost a year off for her treatement. She needed to rest and relax. I didn’t have serious side effects and I really, really wanted to go back. Was getting stressed at home. So, do what’s best for you Heart

• Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I will need to follow my gut feeling at the time.

• Yup, I think that’s the best. Hopefully you’re smarter than me but just in case… try not to compare. I had a tendency of looking up how others were doing and feeling guilty.

Got a friend who’s a teacher and from what I understand your job is quite draining. Take care of yourself and all the best Heart

• Hi, I am in a similar situation and hope my experiencece so far helps. I had a lumpectomy and node removal just over 2 weeks ago and was signed off for 2 weeks. I am back at work this week, I think too quickly as had to leave early yesterday. I have a desk job but even just sitting and stretching for things is painful and I can't take stronger painkillers at work. I am so tired by the middle of the afternoon that I am thinking of reducing my hours for a couple of weeks. Before the op I hadn't a clue how it would affect me emotionally, mentally and physically and my advice to anyone would be to take it at your pace and to do what is best for you. I will be having radiotherapy in a few weeks and will be taking that time off but was advised to see how I feel afterwards as the effects can hit a few weeks later. Wishing wou all the best in your recovery journey, take care and be good to yourself, x

• Hi Hope63,

I had a lumpectomy and two lymph nodes removed two weeks ago and have initially been signed off for four weeks. I go back to the hospital for the results of the op next week, when they will also tell me about the radiotherapy.

Your right when you say we are all unique, it will be different for us all. The important thing is, that you are kind to yourself and take whatever time you need. I work in retail, love my work and have a mega supportive manager, but I’ve realised you can’t rush this and have to think seriously about number one.

I know it’s worrying, but try and do what you can to occupy your mind. I go for half hour walks every day and a walk each week with a Macmillan group, please contact your local Macmillan centre (a list is on this site) they are great and can give you so much help. I also write a daily diary, this is mega helpful as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is also important to have a good support structure, family, friends, good work colleagues, I live on my own and am very independent, but I’ve found that is something you can’t do on your own.

I know it is sometimes easier said then done, but try and concentrate on the positives and dump the negativity, I’m sure you will be fine and wish you luck. Don’t forget you can come and chat to us riff raff on here at anytime GrinThumbsup tone3xx

• Hi 

Thanks for responding to my message. I hope you’re feeling okay and making good progress in your recovery. It’s so hard to plan for work when you don’t know how your body and mind are going to manage. I think it’s normal to try and get back to work but easy to underestimate just how tired and unfit we might feel. I’ve overdone things today and haven’t even left the house. Thanks for sharing how you’re feeling, it makes me realise this is not unusual. Good luck with the radiotherapy and recovery. Take care. 

• Hi

So grateful for your time and reply. I have been signed off for three weeks initially but can already predict I’m going to need longer. I’m in pain more so from the lymph node removal but definitely needing to keep on top of the painkillers. Honestly, I’d hoped a week after the op I’d not be needing them so religiously. So the realisation is beginning to dawn that I may need longer off work than I’d hoped. 
    it’s a nuisance but I’m so grateful for the op and the forthcoming treatment. I think I’m going to need at least three weeks when I get the results and hopefully the plan for the next stage of my treatment. Having these connections will really help, in the knowledge it’s normal and fellow patients are experiencing similar scenarios. 
    I hope your treatment goes well and your recovery has good outcomes too. Thanks again for your kind words. I will try and stay positive and use the great outdoors too. Thanks again.