BRCA gene

• 3 replies
  • 323 subscribers

I’ve recently completed radiation & have my end of treatment appointment next week. Yesterday I was contacted by my cousin to discuss my opinion of genetic testing for BRCA. My mum died from breast cancer 40 yrs ago & I already have concerns for my daughter. She has been referred to the family history clinic, but now I’ve discovered I have many more relatives with various cancers but because they are on my dad’s side I didn’t think it relevant. My dad was an only son with 5 sisters. All the sisters have/ had cancer. 2 breast, 1 uterine, 1 throat,1 bowel. I also have 2 cousins with breast cancer, 1 recently died and it’s the surviving one who’s contacted me. Her mum was one of the ones who died with breast cancer and she is worried about her daughter, so same position as me. It seems it’s a big deal to have genetic testing as non cancer patients have to have counselling first. Has anyone had experience of this? What questions should I ask at my appointment next week?

• Hi Jennand

While I don't have an answer for you I noticed that you haven't had any replies so I thought I reply to you to move you to the top of the discussion.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly with an answer for you.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• I started my referral to the genetics before I was diagnosed.  Had bloods done and after 10 weeks of waiting I finally got the results I was dreading but still expected. I'm brca 2 mutation.  I knew that I proberly was with all the cancer related health in my family . I thought telling my children I had cancer was bad enough. But having to tell them they might have it too absolutely broke my heart. Talk to someone . 

• Yes, I’ve got my end of treatment review next Thursday & also appt with Oncologist on Friday.