Keeping Fi

• 16 replies
  • 314 subscribers

Having been diagnosed with Breast Cancer in Dec, which was and still is a shock, prior to the diagnosis I have always been fit and active, walking my dogs 3 miles every day, box fit 3 times a week and 3 weight training sessions, but since the diagnosis and having a PICC line I’m no longer doing box fit or weights, both of which weren’t just about the fitness they also helped me to keep mentally fit too. 

A few years ago I suffered with stress/anxiety brought on by 2 deaths in the family in close succession which required a period of medication, however, I found fitness to be my release and no longer needing medication as a result.

I’m heading towards EC No 4 and whilst I feel awful for the first week, week 2&3 I’m good so my question is really to ask if anyone else has continued to do weights during treatment.

There just seems to be so much that you can’t do, my mental health is suffering and I just need a release, this is all hard enough as it is.

• Hi Sarah, I’m sorry that you’ve had such a tough time. I can totally understand the weights /mental health link .

ive just had a lumpectomy , so I won’t be able to lift for a while .

My local council leisure centre off a 6 week cancer rehabilitation programme , even for people going through treatment .

Macmillan gave me the details . I wonder if you have something local, where you would be supported ?

• Thank you for replying, and I hope your recovery goes well so you can get back to lifting again.

That’s sounds like a great thing to offer, I’ll certainly look into it, and now I’ve read this it just shows its not a ‘No’. I miss the environment, it’s certainly my headspace time.

• Ask your BCN . They gave me a sheet when I was diagnosed. I know someone who had similar after heart surgery , totally different local authority , so I bet yours will offer something . Have a look on their website . Hope you can get some headspace xx 

• Hi  , I agree totally re exercise, for me walking has become my sanity saver. I also found a local cancer rehabilitation exercise class, although only once I’d long finished my ‘active’ treatment. Nothing like that was around when I was diagnosed, or not I’m my area anyway (Hertfordshire). Definitely worth trying to find out. At my class, some folk are currently having chemo, and come when they feel up to it. There’s a book called ‘Get your oomph back’ by Carolyn Garritt who has herself had cancer. If you’re anywhere near me I’d happily give it to you! It’s available to order online if you Google it. I don’t know myself when weights would be appropriate. The MacMillan helpline might be able to advise? Hope you can get back to what you love, it’s horrible enough going through that treatment without feeling that you’re losing the activities that you enjoy. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Thanks Happy Feet. I can see it on Amazon , typical the library don’t have it . I’ve been for a 30 minute walk today , which helped x

• Hi Sarah76,

I’ve continued to do aerobic exercise and strength training throughout treatment. I returned to the gym a week after lumpectomy and am now 2/3rds of the way through chemo. Starting to tire a bit now but it’s really been helpful in me retaining some normality. The American Association of oncologists recently published guidelines on exercise for adults in active treatment. You can find out a bit more about these with this link. 

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/exercise-during-cancer-treatment--4-things-to-know.h00-159543690.html#:~:text=The%20guidelines%20recommend%20regular%20aerobic,strengthen%20the%20heart%20and%20lungs.

Best wishes

• Hi, 

On my first appointment with the Oncologist I was asked what I did in my free time.  When  told her I was a regular gym goer she immediately recommended a port instead of a picc line.  It was the best decision for me and apart from the enforced breaks after surgery,  I've continued to exercise all the way through my treatment.  Obviously I haven't always been up to a full blown circuit class during chemo, but I managed to keep moving.  Kettlebells is working well for me at the moment.

• How long did you want until after surgery to lift ? I’m seeing physio 12th April . Not sure yet about oncologist, I get my histology results 10th April.

• I was told "no jiggling" for 6 weeks after breast surgery.

It took a bit longer until I was comfortable to lift, and started back lower than before.

• Thank you . My friend was running 4,weeks after a lumpectomy but I think that’s too soon .