Mri

• 5 replies
  • 314 subscribers

I went to my GP with a breast lump,I'm 52 years old.I was referred to breast clinic.I attended March 18th had mammogram and ultrasound.This resulted in breast biopsies and lymphnode in my armpit biopsies.The consultant said he was worried it was a small cancer.The radiologist said that if the results come back positive then she would request a MRI.Well I received a letter today for an ultrasound for my lymphnodes that was sent by GP.I explained I had already had an ultrasound, the radiographer then said I can see there is a MRI referral too and actually named the breast consultant.He started backtracking when I asked about the MRI and said to wait for the breast clinic to contact me.I haven't had my biopsy results yet but I'm assuming they are showing cancer as this is why the MRI has been requested.

• Personally I wouldn’t take that as definite as it took 10 days for the results to come back from my biopsies. Then I went for a CT scan, MRI scan and bone density scan. So the consultant might just be preempting the wait for a CT scan by requesting one now. I just took one step at a time and took my breast care nurses advice and didn’t Google anything. I hope you’re not waiting too long. 

• Hi Budsbails23.

As it is said here, the waiting is always the most difficult part, please consider that also the replies you will have on this forum are mostly from those of us who already have been diagnosed BC.

My experience was similar to yours, I went for screening, ended up with two bipsies and an app for MRI the following week. When asked the consultant they said they have to wait for results to give me a diagnose and that would take 'at least' two weeks. So the MRI was done way before I got the results.

There were other ladies in the waiting room and not all of us received a BC diagnose.

I wish you all the best.

• Hi Jen_3

Thank you for your reply,yeah I know what you mean.I just think there is obviously enough concern there for them to do the MRI even before the results.By your message I assume you were diagnosed,I hope you are recovering okay xx

• Hi, my understanding is that MRI scans can be used for different things - both to see if they are cancerous cells at all and to check the actual size if any cancer that is there.  I know it's tempting to second guess and the uncertainty and waiting is the worst so I hope you get the results and come clarity soon. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• I am recovering well thank you. I was diagnosed with primary cancer. I had a mastectomy and reconstruct ion. Going for radiotherapy in April. I hope you get your results soon x