Fatigue post Op

• 2 replies
  • 314 subscribers

Hi lovely community

i had my lumpectomy on 14th Feb - how romantic! It went well, I’ve healed nicely. It was a small grade 2 cancer and it hadn’t spread. Upon receiving the ‘all clear’ pathology results 2 weeks post op I felt like I’d won the lottery.

I start a 5 day course of radiotherapy on 8th April abd then will start tomoxifen.

On paper I feel I should be feeling great…but I’m not.

to provide context, I’m a busy mum working part time. My mum has stage 4 cancer, dad in nursing home due to advanced Parkinson’s and my husband had a breakdown half way through my treatment (he’s a lot better now).

I know I have a lot on but I’m curious regarding levels of fatigue. 

How are/were you feeling on a fatigue level  4 weeks post op?

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that you're experiencing fatigue since having your lumpectomy. This isn't something that I had but I didn't have all the other things going on in my life that you do.

As soon as I felt comfortable after my lumpectomy I took myself off for a gentle walk each day as I'd been told that exercise helps combat fatigue and, for me, this seemed to work. You might find this information from Macmillan about tiredness and cancer helpful to look through.

Sending ((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  , to say you have a lot on seems like a massive understatement! Re post op fatigue, I can only speak from my own experience…. At your stage I was still signed off sick and not having to cope with any of what you’ve described - my kids were grown up and both living abroad. Husband working but doing most of the dog walking as I was still healing and was scared to risk being pulled. So was able to take it easy. In the end, I stayed off for 4 months, which took me to 4 weeks after my radiotherapy (3 weeks back in 2019). I’m really not surprised that you’re fatigued, you’ve had a major operation and are coping with more than many folk ever have to all at once. Could you consider taking some time off work? I was a special needs teacher and was lucky to have a very supportive school plus good sick pay, but I know that lots of people don’t have that. Wishing you well, love and hugs, HFxx 

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi