“No news is good news” HER2 wait.

• 2 replies
  • 312 subscribers

I am 5 weeks post lumpectomy and still waiting for a HER2 result. Diagnosed 14th December.

Twice today people have said that the lack of a result must mean that everything is fine. “Surely you’d have the result if they thought it was bad”

I know people mean well and I’m trying to be good natured about it but the truth is that there isn’t a result so no one knows. And when the HER2 comes back there may need to be oncotype testing and a further wait of at least three weeks. 

They couldn’t get a HER2 result off my biopsy, though it did how hr and pr positivity. Is it possible that they will fail to get a result from my surgery sample too. I know it has progressed to FISH stage of testing. 

What happens if they can’t get a result? 
I do have a connective tissue disorder so wonder if that is making samples harder to analyse. 
I'm probably overthinking and it’s just down to pathology backlog, but all the ‘what-ifs!”

My reply to those who are  trying to ‘cheer me up’ is simple “I don’t think it works like that. I just have to wait” but I’m not convincing myself. 

Anyone relate? 

• All I know is that HER2 results do take a good bit longer than the hormone checks on tissue samples, mine was back around 2 weeks after my mastectomy which was a month or so after my sentinel node excision operation. So, quite a while….

hope yours comes back soon

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Thank you Mooney. I know I just have to wait. Your hugs are most appreciated. X