Head, do you never not cover up?

• 8 replies
  • 317 subscribers

Hi, I’ve ended up shaving my head now. I had it cut into a pixie cut but just over a week and half later it was getting too thin on top so I had a number 1 all over. For now I’ve been wearing hats, mainly cotton beanies, sometimes woolly hats when it’s been colder. My general question (random I know!) is do you feel confident going out without anything on your head? I am wondering if I get to a stage and think sod it, I’m not covering my head. I really hope I do feel able to embrace my head and just get out there, but at the moment I’m not sure. (it’s been a bit cold so far).

Random musings for a Saturday from Manchester! 

• Hi  

my story on profile I didn’t cold cap back in 2019/20 . Like you went to pixie in the August prior to starting EC hair  lasted longer than expected but eventually shaved after 3/4 cycles . It was winter so beanies with knitted headbands to ring the changes . I had a wig but only wore it twice once to a funeral and also someone’s celebration party I didn’t want my lack of hair be centre of attention ….I went bald in chemo sessions and felt far more comfortable . Then one day in coffee shop I felt it was more of a curiosity trying to cover up so removed hat ..think I enjoyed the shock factor to those who were trying to work out if hair under hat lol 

After a quick glance most people didn’t bother . I decided if some people didn’t like it that was their problem Joy from then I embraced the look ‍ would wear be any if cold but if went indoors would remove hat wether it was pub ,shop etc 

Point is there is no right or wrong it is how you feel do what is comfortable for you in any given situation . Slightly different circumstances for me as it was lockdown so I went into lockdown bald only allowed out for three weekly infusions . Looked like GI Jane in middle then by release in July had chemo curl starting .

One step at a time and ...Breathe !
    xoxox
    Margaret
  • Thanks Margaret, my mum did say if people didn’t like it then it’s not my problem! Think I’m just going to go for it when I feel warm enough! I was watching Andi Oliver and thought she rocks her bald head and maybe I should try rocking mine. 

• Hi WhatNext, I too had a short pixie cut then due to hair thinning I had a number 1 all over. I mostly wear beanie hats, but at times I do go outside without a head covering (too cold though)

I bought 2 wigs and only worn 1 of them once. 

Maybe when it’s a bit warmer I will consider not wearing anything on my head also. Hugs Hugging xx

Alfie 24

• You go girl ! I always thought badge of honour showed I was a fighter !

One step at a time and ...Breathe !
    xoxox
    Margaret
  • Thanks, yes we might be ok when it gets a bit warmer! I’ve got a wig but still not wore it, was going to wear it yesterday but it was a bit breezy and didn’t want it blowing off! 

• You go and rock it babes. Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter. It is all about you and your comfort. Xxxx

• I had chemo over the winter (a few years ago) so far too cold to go out without a head covering. I stopped at the end of January. I wore a head covering for my op in Feb and then I had 2 weeks of radiotherapy in April. I had some growth, though very very short and only just coming through. The first week, I wore my head covering but the weather cheered up a bit the second week so that was my first time going to appointments without a covering at all, It felt great! And a good place to start as everyone knows you've been through chemo

• I have a wig which looks quite glamorous, but I have to be honest I prefer my little beanies, they are warm and comfortable..... I bought them online from some site and there are numerous designs... I bought some with my grand daughter in mind as they have things like butterflies, dragonflies etc.... I think going without I might be too cold, but also a little conscious at the moment, but as it gets a little longer, maybe a grade 1 it would not bother me, as  years ago I had it very short with grade 1 side and back.  It has to be what you feel comfortable with I think... after all we are going through enough without worrying about what others think... but I know we do