Awaiting breast scan + biopsy, my mind won’t rest

• 4 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Heya, 24 year old Female here!

found a smooth oval shaped lump in my breast last month. I cant really tell how much it moves around as it isn’t sat that close to the skin. No detectable armpit lumps to the touch. It does hurt on that area on occasion, but not too badly. 

The GP left it under observation for a month to see if it would go away, and it hasn’t. So I’m sent on a 2 or 3 week wait ultrasound and biopsy, will hopefully hear when my appointment is soon.
sadly the GP doesnt have a great bedside manner, she doesn’t say how bad it feels, or if it’s bigger, or what it’s likely to be or anything. Just flat "sending you for a scan and biopsy", sent me out the door. No further info, didn’t let me ask questions really. So my anxiety riddled mind just wheels around, all day and all night!

so I’ll be trying to sleep and my brain will just be like "oh you know how you’ve been feeling a bit dizzy lately? It’s cancer. Tired? Cancer. Arm hurts? oh it’s cancer, and it’s spread everywhere and incurable." Even though on paper, I know I’m young and (to my knowledge) cancer doesn’t run strongly in the family. I’m just stuck constantly dreading the worst. My lovely step-mom whom has successfully beaten breast cancer that spread to lymph nodes, has been a great help. But it still gets lonely and scary when alone at night.

does anyone have any advice or comfort? What if "the worst" does actually come to pass, and it is malignant? How to distract yourself from the endless terror? how Do I know what’s an actual worsening symptom, and what’s me just freaking out? thank you so much, and lots of love :’)

• Hi Stoneroad, bless you, you are very young and I can only imagine your state of mind at the moment. Our minds are complex  and what we feel may be a worsening symptom may likely not be. 

I would like to believe your age may mean the lump is a cyst, but best to get these things checked out. Knowing your step-mum beat breast cancer must be inspiring for you. 
    No one can take away the uncertainty you face until you have the results of your ultrasound and biopsies. 
    As hard as it is, please try not to spend your every waking moment in fear and dread. Whatever is the cause of your lump is going to be investigated and a plan of care made for you. 

Sending love and hugs Hugging xx

Alfie 24

• Hi  , sorry you find yourself here! Your GP certainly doesn’t seem to have much of a bedside manner but she’s done the right thing in referring you as your lump needs investigating, regardless of your young age.
    Firstly, try to remind yourself that the majority of breast lumps are not cancer. Obviously this forum is full of people who did turn out to have cancer, but the majority of folk having lumps investigated will not. From my own experience, I’ve had several breast clinic referrals and most issues turned out to be benign. At 21, my GP referred me as she thought I had ‘nodular’ breasts at a routine examination because I was on the pill. Also I do have a family history of breast cancer. The consultant didn’t even feel that any tests were necessary as all felt normal to him. In my 40s I found a lump and got referred - after many inconclusive tests it was removed, and was a benign fibroadenoma. Some years later I found lumpiness in the other breast - another referral, and an ultrasound showed them to be cysts. They weren’t causing me any problems so were left alone. Finally at 59, I found a thickened area, got referred and it was cancer. I’ve had treatment and am still rattling around this site over 5 years later! 
    Your anxieties are totally understandable, it’s the most horribly tortuous time, waiting for appointments and results. At my more recent clinic referral they did tell me after a mammogram and ultrasound, that it looked like cancer. When waiting for the biopsy results, every little twinge, ache or pain was bound to be the cancer, throughout my body. But it wasn’t. Our minds go into overdrive and we imagine all the worst case scenarios. 
    I can really only suggest keeping busy while you wait, but will also repeat that most breast investigations have ‘good’ results ie not cancer. But if you also want to be prepared for the possibility that it could be cancer, then remind yourself that treatments have advanced hugely in recent years, even since my diagnosis. 
    Wishing you well, and sending a big virtual hug your way, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Aw thank you so much xx it is hard not to let your mind run away with you and think the worst with every little ache. But the body can ache for allll kinds of different reasons that are totally non-serious. Thank you, as you said, whatever the lump turns out to be, the plan of action is in motion now, and it WILL be treated or removed. Love and hugs back!x

• happyfeet thank you so much for filling me in on all the times you’ve had to have biopsies and lump removals before, and all the times it didn’t turn out to be cancer. I think all those smaller lumpectomies and biopsies people have go SO under-discussed among friends. I’ve been surprised how many people I know have had inconclusive lumps lurking around or removed, and just as much people who have had breast cancer when they were younger, and are still rattling around 40 years on after being cleared of it, where breast cancer just hasn’t been a part of their life from then on.

It’s amazing how many people have gone onto live totally normal lives during and after breast cancer, that you just never hear about until you bring it up! 

my step mum also said that actually the worst parts of her cancer journey was just bad thoughts in her head, and the waiting for various appointments and results. The treatments are not scary at all compared to the worst case scenario-ing that goes on in one’s head, that just don’t come to pass!

so I’ll keep that in mind, whatever investigations or treatments that go on, they aren’t scary, and they’re going to get it sorted, and the lump removed or treated

wishing you the best + lots of hugs too, thank you so much for helping and telling me your journey. It’s really reassuring xx <3