Anemia

• 1 reply
  • 313 subscribers

I had my final round (4) of EC yesterday and now move onto paclitaxel in two weeks.

This week my haemoglobin levels were very low (but where just within the threshold to be able to have my treatment). There is talk that if I show signs of anemia in the next two weeks a small blood transfusion maybe required to ‘boost’ my red blood cells. Whilst I don’t object to this (I’ll do whatever I have to in order to get to the end of treatment on time!) I wondered if there was anything I could do?

If you have been on this particular trip on your chemo journey - was there anything you were able to do yourself that boosted your levels to prevent the blood transfusion? People keep saying ‘eat red meat and spinach….’ x

• Hi,

I was put on a course of iron tablets & I had a ferritin infusion. I did feel great afterwards. I’ve improved my diet and continue to maintain my levels. Next blood test first week of February. So maybe ask if you can try tablets first? If you do, take the them with prune juice, it helps a lot!

Best of luck with it all.