Frazzled hair

• 6 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Hi I finished my chemo just over a year ago when my hair came back it was thicker and wavy, I was dead straight and very fine before I’ve had a few hair cuts and it was slowly growing but for the last few months I’ve notice the ends look completely frazzled. I don’t do much to it so it’s not colouring or heat that’s causing it, I really don’t know what to do I feel it looks awful and I don’t feel like me, loosing my hair was a huge thing for me to deal with and now this is really getting me down, should I just chop it all off again ? 

• Hi Emma.c

It's really hard isn't it - all we want to do is feel something like the old us.  I'm the same as you, thicker and wavy hair but the ends just get completely cotton woolly.  I've kept mine short and just keep cutting the sad looking ends off and hope that eventually it will return to how it used to be - fingers crossed.  Sending hugs x

• Hi lullabelle, 

im glad it’s not just me, that’s exactly it like cotton wool I’m going to the hairdresser tomorrow to go short again. After everything and your hair comes back and it’s still  there as a reminder!! Xxx

• Hi, I am so with you. I preferred my wig to the months of fuzzy, frizzy, curly shortness. I stuck with it and it's grown straighter now but I really do empathise x

Community Champion badge

• Hi I know everyone is different but Can I just ask how many months now are you post treatment that your finding you hair is getting back to normal ? The after effects of treatment are the things we don’t seem to get told about !! Xx

• Hi, I finished chemo in July 2021 and stopped wearing my wig in April 2022. I'd say the first 12 months were the hardest and from around the middle of 2023 I was feeling much more comfortable with my style. I have coloured my hair, maybe 6 months after it started to grow back, and that helped.

I blogged through treatment and a bit after, have a look and see if this helps share what I experienced. Irish girl Blog link

It will get better, just takes an annoyingly long time, best wishes 

Community Champion badge